Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Explorer is buggin out !

• Please log in to reply

Chrishugs2

Chrishugs2

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi everyone :D

I had a error that said explorer has caused an illegal operation and will be shut down and then it totally froze me to where I had to cold boot. That was about 3 weeks ago. Now I no longer get that message but I can't use much of my explorer. I cannot open my icons on the desktop such as my computer, recycle bin, windows explorer, and my control panel does not open up. I have reinstalled my Windows CD, ran anti virus programs, and scan disk and defraged. Nothing is working. I am about to go crazy here. Does anyone know what happened and how I can get my explorer back? Thanks to all advice
Christine <_<

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Sounds like you have operating system corruption and may have to reformat first and then reinstall (a clean install). If you have any important data on your computer make sure its backed up first.

Click Here for instructions on perfoming a clean install.

Chrishugs2

Chrishugs2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you very much for your help but I still have one problem about this......I cannot open my control panel to make a startup disk...how important is this?This seems like a huge operation to do a clean install. I hope I can handle it....lmao

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
You can download a startup disk at http://www.bootdisk.com

A clean install isn't very difficult. The hard part is ensuring all your important data is backed up first, and then applying all the Windows updates, installing your software again, and restoring your settings.

Using Windows 98 or earlier, if you use your computer often, it's almost a given that you'll have to perform a clean install at least once a year for fast, trouble free operation.

Chrishugs2

Chrishugs2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
sorry to bug you again........BUT I finally did a clean install and I am having problems with this. I am having driver problems, and in my device manager, there are 3 items in there that have a yellow exclamation points and question marks on them. They are:PCI card, PCI Ethernet controller, and PCI Multimedia Audio device. I had to have the cable company come out today to hook up another Ethernet card or driver or whatever it was. Can you please tell me what these other devices are and what is wrong with them? By the way, if I need the software for any of these, I don't have it. How do I get it if I do need it? Also, I cannot get my screen resolution to go more than 16 bit.............and alot of my programs won't work with this problem. How can I correct this? I'm sorry for all these questions, but this was a huge task for me to do by myself. I am getting frustrated with all these errors. All I want is for my computer to run right.......LOL. Thanks again for all your help <_<
Christine

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
First, make sure to run Windows Update. This will apply the needed security patches, and may identify some new hardware drivers.

You need to install drivers for these items not identified by Windows. Try AIDA32 software, not only will it tell you what hardware's in your system, but often the location of the drivers as well.

Same with your video, if you can only display 16 color, the driver needs updating.

Chrishugs2

Chrishugs2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I really appreciate all your help but I have one more question.....I hope this will be my last problem. I have alot of my problems fixed except I have no sound. I don't even have a volume control on my task bar. I used AIDA32 to find out my multimedia device and I installed the driver, but where do I download it to or how do I get it recognized? It says I have a SIS7018 Audio Accelerator i guess ?????? Could this be the right thing I need?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
This driver should work:
http://driver2.sis.c...18/7018_114.zip