Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System keeps shutting down

• Please log in to reply

Beccy

Beccy

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi there! I was wondering if someone could help me because this problem is driving me mad!

I'm running windows xp professional and I have a dvd burner and numerous amount of software. The problem is that all of a sudden when I now go to burn a dvd with either DVD Santa or WinAVI, a quarter of the way through the conversion process, my computer decides to totally turn itself off, without shutting down or anything. It now does this everytime and I have no idea what's wrong with it. It's driving me crazy.

If anyone has any ideas or solutions I will be very very grateful.

Many thanks,
Beccy

Advertisements

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
Sounds like a driver problem, have you got the latest driver for your burner? have you got the latest versions of your programs?

Beccy

Beccy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I believe I have all the latest drivers, but I will check to make sure thanks. I'm just not sure why it's deciding to just turn itself off, it only ever happens when I try and convert a file to a dvd format file, ready to burn. Grrrrr! So frustrating.

Thank you for taking the time to post a reply :tazz:

lionelhutz5

lionelhutz5

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Could you try a different burning program? If so, I could give you detailed burning instructions fro those programs.

Peace,
Jared

Beccy

Beccy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yeah which programmes do you have in mind? I've tried two and they both have the same response - it cuts out and switches off.

I'm open to suggestions, thanks! :tazz:

whyweigh

whyweigh

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
maybe your system is overheating

lionelhutz5

lionelhutz5

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
1. Analyze with DVD Shrink.
2. Save as an .ISO file
3. Burn with DVDDecrypter
a. Go to mode - ISO - write
b. Click browse, and locate the .ISO file you saved in DVD Shrink.
c. Click your burner drive.
d. Click decrypt.
NOTE: parts "a" and "b" are only necessary if DVDDecrypter doe not automatically open after saving with DVD Shrink.

However, if above fails, try this:
1. Decrypt with DVD Decrypter
2. Extract files with ISOBuster (Also freeware here: http://isobuster.com/)
To do this:
a. Browse for the saved file with DVD Decrypter.
b. Right click on the file and click extract video files.
c. Open the extracted files in DVD Shrink to get the files to fit on the blank DVD.
d. Open up DVD Decrypter again and burn with DVD Decrypter.
i. Mode - iso - write
ii. Choose file from disk and burner drive.
iii. Click decrypt

Peace,
Jared

PS All of these programs are Freeware.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
If your still having trouble, I would look at the power supply. Did this DVD burner come with the pc or did you install it? How long have you successfully used the DVD burner? Have you installed any thing else that may be over-taxing the power supply?

Beccy

Beccy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
The pc was built from scratch. I bought all the parts and a friend put it together for me. The dvd burner was installed when the computer was put together. It was burning for a good year or so and then as I say it just kept cutting out when trying to convert the files. It only seems to be happening when trying to burn a dvd. If it was the power supply how would I fix it?

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I think that I would eliminate any heat issue as whyweigh points out. I thought I had a program installed that gives temp readings but I couldn't find it. One thing you could do would be to remove the cover or sides of the case and aim a large fan at it and try burning again. If it burns successfully then you know you have a heat issue.....

Did you blow out the dust? In particular the heat sink for the cpu....

Edited by macten, 05 July 2005 - 06:39 PM.

Beccy

Beccy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks so much for that advice I'll try it. :tazz: I'll also get a can of compressed air and try blowing out the dust again. I just hope and pray it hasn't got anything to do with things overheating

gossipdeep

gossipdeep

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi beccy if the problem still exist , then there r chances that it might be an virus, worm or an trojen issue to, since u have an win xp pro, try turning off ur system restore option by

RIGHT clicking on ur my comp icon and select the tab wich says system restore. then chek the box wich saya turn off sys restore.

then scan ur sys system using Symantec or Mcafee antivirus
if thant dosent solve the issu the try this process in the Safe mode.

EVEN one thing is more important that u must have the latest definitions updates for ur antivirus. so that it can detect if there is any new or latest virus in ur sys.

Then try reinstalling the DVD driver alone.

i hope this resolver ur issue ;) :tazz:

Edited by gossipdeep, 16 July 2005 - 01:22 AM.

Beccy

Beccy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks so much for that advice, I'll give it all ago. You're a star! :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also you may want to check this one out... right click my computer > properties > advanced > start up and recovery settings > then see if the box for automatically restart is selected under the system failure part. if it is try unchecking it

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Obtain your Motherboard CD - - It may have a PC Probe Monitor Program that monitors Temp - Fan Speed - Voltages . . .
Look under Utilities . . . . if not try your Motherboard website or try:

http://www.pcworld.c...fid,4005,00.asp

PC World . . . has several Utilities . . .FREE . . . . The Sandra Lite is a utility for several different motherboards, but it would be best to obtain a utility from/for your motherboard. . . . it would have a truer temp readings for CPU . . .would have an accurate (Temp Correction Factor)-

I am with Whyweigh & Macten: This may very well be a heat problem or Power overload -(Current Limiting) -. . . . and you need a measuring utility . . .

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 19 July 2005 - 11:34 AM.