Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Pro (OEM) clean reinstall

• Please log in to reply

crabsteen

crabsteen

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Long story, but end result is that I have two copies of XP Pro, one illegal and one OEM: C:\Windows (illegal) and C:\Windows2 (legal), running in the same partition. This is a home built computer so OEM is legit. I want to clear out the original illegal install but when I installed the OEM version it warned that I cannot reinstall using the OEM CD. Microsoft licensing web site does not address this specific issue. My assumption is that I can reformat C: and install clean, paste the WPA.dbl back into the correct folder to avoid reactivation as recommended by Microsoft's book "InsideOut," etc.

Does anyone know if there really is a one time limit on installing WinXP Pro from an OEM disk?

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I have never heard of a one-time install limitation on an OEM disc. What MS does limit (and this may have changed), is the number of days in between consecutive activations. I think it was around 120 days.

That said, if your last install was over 120 days, you should have no problem reactivating the software normally. In any case, you can also just call MS and activate over the phone and just tell them you had to reinstall the OS. Since you are "legal" this should be no problem

makai

woody1977

woody1977

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Sorry but the use of illegal copies of anything is not permitted, you probaly won't get any help, won't be too long before this topic gets closed.

cheers woody

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
[quote name='woody1977' date='Jul 4 2005, 09:45 PM']
Sorry but the use of illegal copies of anything is not permitted, you probaly won't get any help, won't be too long before this topic gets closed.

Now why would this topic get closed??? crabsteen is saying he wants to do away with the illegal copy and run his legit OEM copy only, and is only asking about registration processes.

makai

crabsteen

crabsteen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
makai,
Thanks. I'll try a clean install. The activation is less than 120 days but I have the phone number from the previous - that also needed an explanation to Microsoft. We can close this topic.