Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

explorer.exe has generated errors and will be clos

• Please log in to reply

kelly2110

kelly2110

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My computer (windows 2000 pro) is infected, but I can't even try to follow highjack this steps because I can't even get past the log on anymore.
It will show my desktop(changed) for a few seconds, then gives this message:

A fatal error in IE has occured at 0028:C0011E36 in VXD VMM<01> +00010E36: Error was caused by Trojan-spy.html.Smitfraud.c
*system cannot run in normal mode. Please check security settings.
*Scan your pc with any available antivirus/spyware remover program
to fix the problem.

Then it shows a popup errorbox that says:

explorer.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. you will need to restart the program
an error log is being created.

At this point it just goes in a circle of trying to restart, and showing the messages.

I have tried safe mode, booting from disk, debugging mode...still the same thing.

When I first saw the problem ( my desktop changed and showed an html page for spyware removal, plus started installing links and programs on my desktop ) I immediatly disconnected the internet connection. downloaded spyware doctor from another computer and ran that. It found plenty of stuff, but not what I needed. I deleted what I could find manually (was not in add/remove software list) computer still worked but still had desktop spyware thing.

Now, like I said, it just goes in a circle, i can't open or click anything before it restarts again. I don't know what else to do.
Please help, I am desperate!

Kelly

Advertisements

eddie leidenheimer

eddie leidenheimer

• Pip
  • 4 posts
who is your i s p , if dialup ,ck your dialup conn,numbers not staying connected,causing prob.,,also ck. internet explorer repair in add-remove programs,,repair by double click it..

kelly2110

kelly2110

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for trying to help Eddie, but I think you didn't quite understand the problem.
I can't open or click anything before it restarts again.
There are solutions on microsoft for the explorer.exe error, but nothing like I have with the constant restarting

http://support.micro...b;EN-US;Q319124

all the solutions I have come across require that the system is running. I can't get to anything because it just restarts over and over.
The most progress I have made was to use ctrl alt del to get to the task manager. It shows no tasks running except "program error", but I can view the processes. There seems to be a bunch of DRWATSON.EXE going on. Its listed about a dozen times (while i am looking at this explorer is still running in it's circle).
I have tried to click the DRWATSON.EXE and end process but they pop up faster than they can be ended.
In the task manager, (new task) I can get to the registry (regedit.exe) Is there is something I can work with there?

Unfortunatly, I won't have a lot of time to try it because the restarting (makes error buttons on the toolbar) it soon runs out of virtual memory.

bayridge

bayridge

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi Kelly. Not helping here, just letting you know that I have the exact same problem. Desktop appears for a second or two then disappears and box comes up saying there's an error. Each time it does this it opens a new window with a button at the bottom of the screen. I use Alt-F4 to close them, but they just keep coming. We probably have the same problem. Someone help please.

bayridge

bayridge

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I deleted explorer.exe from WINNT directory and now I just get a blank screen. Did this through command prompt in Safe Mode. Doesn't sound like much of an improvement, BUT now I can go into Task Manager (CtrlAltDel) and start programs (New Task), such as Excel, etc. At least I can get at my data and move it someplace before I reinstall windows. That was my main concern, saving my data. I can even start IE and Outlook Express this way and get to Internet and my email. Not too different than normal except I don't have task bar at the bottom and have to start programs through Task Manager. Can switch windows with Alt-Tab. Hope this helps.

kelly2110

kelly2110

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey Bayridge,
I have solved my problem! With ALOT of help from another forum. Those guys are so great!

Here is the thread:

http://forum.iamnota...1819087000.html

It's long, but if you are going what I went through, it's worth the read.

Good Luck,
Kelly

eddie leidenheimer

eddie leidenheimer

• Pip
  • 4 posts
TO KELLY 2110,,I,VE SOLVED MY PROBLEM BY INSTALLING THE LATEEST VERSION OF MICROSOFT ANTI SPYWARE....DON,T HAVE THE USUAL POP UP OF INTERNET EXPLORER ENCOUNTERED A PROB.@ HAS TO CLOSE......THANKS TO EVERYONE THAT HELPED,,,,

bayridge

bayridge

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hmm. Where'd he come from? Anyway, I fixed it but don't know exactly how. Ran Ewido and it found a lot of crap. Crap that got past my SpySubtract, AdsGone, PC-cillin, WinPatrol and AdWatch. After it removed the virus or spyware or whatever, I rebooted and problem was solved. Will be buying Ewido for sure. Thanks to all.