Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Temporary Internet Files

• Please log in to reply

Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am unable to delete hundreds of sites from my Temporay internet cache.

Despite numerous attempts they just stay there. I get no message, but sometimes it just closes the IE window.

Any idea how I can delete all sites from my cache?

thanks

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Timmy Boy,

A little about the workings of some windows folders...
The Cookies, Temp, and Temporary Internet Files folders that reside under your user name get created during Windows startup or Log-in if they do not exist.

This means that if they somehow get deleted, Windows will simply recreate them when you restart your computer. They will also get recreated during a log-in.

So, what does this do for you? Well, if you have another user account on your system, you can simply log into that account, navigate to "your" user tree, and delete these folders.

The next time you log in to "your" account, windows will recreate the folders you just deleted and all the folders will be empty... except for windows dat files and maybe desktop ini files ( can't remember exactly).

In any case, this is the best way to get rid of internet trash in these folders.

NOTE... Windows will not prompt you to confirm deletion of these folders, so make sure you are deleting the CORRECT folders only!

makai

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Hi Timmy. What you are describing sounds like a Malware-related problem. Please go here and follow the steps to get a HijackThis log posted in the Malware removal forum, where we can help get you cleaned back up! :tazz:

makai: Why would he need to delete the entire folders? We have free easy-to-use programs/methods to clear this up, without deleting system files/folders that can end up causing serious user/pc problems later on.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Not everything is malware. And why everyone thinks everything is is beyond me.

Something as simple as emptying temporary internet files is not as simple as using what Windows offers. Windows does not delete "all" temporary internet files but rather just gives the impression it does. That's why folder properties can still show megabytes of data present in a so called "empty" folder.

Deleting these particular "system files" is not dangerous as windows simply recreates them.

By the way, Timmy Boy, if you are worried about doing what I describe, by all means don't. This is a "typical" IT procedure, so take the advice only if you feel comfortable.

makai

Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanx guys, I'll try it today

Cheers