Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What Anti-virus should i get?

• Please log in to reply

mop666

mop666

• PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
i'm currently using Norton and its rather ok, but i'm curious, what is the best AV out there? money is not an issue (hypothetically :tazz:)

Advertisements

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
http://www.geekstogo...ources-t38.html

That has a bunch of free Antiviruses. AVG is my favorite free one.

Ewido (which is more of general security, spyware, trojans, etc than just viruses) and Kaspersky (which is more specific to viruses).

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
I suggest AVG Free Edition, works awesome and best of all it is free.

Caine

Caine

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I know AVG always gets the thumbsup for beginners, but here's a report from someone else on another forum i use who has to deal with fixing them:

Dont go near that AVG thing its shocking bad.....and if you dont know what your doing with it you can actually end up deleting quite important system files....Virus Vault  :tazz: . Pile of rubbish!

Myself personally, I spent a few quid on a copy of NAV2004, and it's still doing it's job. So far *touches wood* nothing really bad has happened. And for extra security of mind, I run a selection of different online scans (ie: trendmicro, panda activescan, bit-defender) just to catch anything that might be missed by NAV. And since my machine is clean (as far as the scans say) then this is the system I would recommend. ;)

No one AV product is going to be better than the rest. They all have their plus and minus points. ;)

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
In oz it is called VET by computer associaties
Other places etrust and other names.
CA anti virus
This program also comes on the windows cd. and they have a free trial.
I used to be systems manager for 2 servers (2000 & 2003) + 20 clients
always worked. Easy to use

Edited by peterm, 05 July 2005 - 02:41 AM.

mop666

mop666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
umm thanks for the reply guys but i make a mistake lol, i'm using PC-cillin of Trend-micro, should i change it?

cassykins

cassykins

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Norton AntiVirus 2005 can be a tad tricky to set up, and many users find themselves even worse off than before after they've gotten the program installed. It tends to have a lousy reputation - zero detection rates, lo-ooong scanning times, resource-hog, causes crashes, et cetera. Not that I don't believe those claims, but I've been using NAV2005 since I got my new computer and I haven't ran into a single glitch yet. Yes, it is dreadfully, ridiculously expensive but that's just the price you have to pay for a top-notch, big-brand product. And if you are one of the lucky few who has managed to steer clear of all those horrid things Norton has been rumored be able to do to your PC, Norton AntiVirus is truly one of the best anti-virus programs out there. No exaggeration.

If you aren't like me or some others out there who managed to secure themselves a preinstalled copy of NAV on their computer, you could always shell out a hundred dollars and pay for the software, I suppose. Or you could always pick up a copy of free, but nevertheless very excellent programs like AVG, AntiVir or Avast. I've never used AVG, but I've tried out AntiVir and Avast before, and both programs are fantastic. Well...AntiVir did crash my PC the first time I used it, so that might lower it a scale or two in my book. Avast, on the other hand, had a fuss-free installation process and worked like a dream scanning and picking out all those pesky little nasties from my PC.

The bottom line? Buying and using Norton AntiVirus 2005 can be a bit of a risk, but if you can get it to install and run on your computer just fine, coupled with a safer alternative browser such as Mozilla Firefox, a decent firewall and anti-malware program, you will be guaranteed at least a couple of months worth of worry-free Internet sessions. Most sensible, non-billionaire users will probably want to stick to nice, free, stable software like Avast, though. Yes, Norton may very well be a good two, three times better than Avast but as long as you keep to known-to-be-secure websites, use Firefox and limit your downloads on the Web, does it really matter in the end?

Edited by cassykins, 05 July 2005 - 03:59 AM.

mop666

mop666

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
and what can u say about PC-Cillin?

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
I.ve never tried PCCILLIN, so write us a review. I will gladly stick with my AVG

willow28

willow28

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Hello mop666,

PC-cillin 2005 from Trend Micro is very good, if you are using that then there is no need to change your anti-virus service. I've used PC-cillin in the past and it is very secure and user friendly. At the moment I am using Avast 4 Home Edition, but if I had the spare $$$ I would probably go out and buy PC-cillin as it would be my first choice anti-virus software (spose I'll just wait for the next version to come out now though).

Willow :tazz:

Edited by willow28, 05 July 2005 - 10:16 PM.