Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

harddrive crashed

• Please log in to reply

Carobu

Carobu

• Pip
  • 7 posts
dis regard that I guess Wannabe already posted that and I did forget something the dir d: change ohh well Sorry for wasting your time I didn't see wannabe's post I just skimmed over

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Please go to this website and download the BartPE builder.
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Thoroughly read the page, burn the bootable BartPE CD and boot to it. You may have to change the bios boot order.

When you get into BartPE, you should "hopefully" be able to navigate the problem drive retreive your data, and move it to the good drive. I say "hopefully" because if the problem drive is spinning poorly, nothing may be able to access it.

good luck,
makai

chwhitecat

chwhitecat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Thanks I will try that.
System info: AMD Athlon™XP 2400+ 1994 MHZ
BIOS Phoenix Tchnologies, LTD 6.00PG
Video Card - N Vidia GE Force FX 5200
Ram 512
HD - ST3120026A

Originally Gateway Desktop - have rebuilt - only original parts left are
CD Drive and Floppy Drive

chwhitecat

chwhitecat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
BartPe won't work because I used upgrade from Windows 98 so it says it won't work. If I build the CD using my laptop which came with Home XP installed will that work?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

If I build the CD using my laptop which came with Home XP installed will that work?

Yes. What BartPE needs is the i386 folder from the XP CD. Create the Cd on another computer and it will boot your computer.

makai

chwhitecat

chwhitecat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Thanks I will do that tomorrow from my laptop.

chwhitecat

chwhitecat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I have computer booted to BartPE Now I am on a screen which says
Programs
System
Command Prompt(CMD)
Run
About
I don't which one to click on - HELP

twisted bob

twisted bob

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Souds like there's something wrong with your hard drive. If you can't install it using the Windows XP CD, I recomond that you get a new one. There's no way that drive's going to work again depending on the issues that your getting. I know I'm not high ranking or something, but if you have any more problems email me at[email protected]. Thx.

:lau

chwhitecat

chwhitecat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I think it is time to give up. No matter what I try it says the device is not ready.
Thank you all so much for your help.
Carol

chwhitecat

chwhitecat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Just out of curiosity I took the top off of the crashed harddrive and started the computer - it looks like the magnet is somehow allowing the reader to float about halfway across the disc and then brings it back to the center - maybe something in the circuit board - anyway that is what makes the clicking noise. Most of you probably already know how that works but I found it rather interesting to watch. There is also a groove worn in the disc about an eighth to a quarter of an inch from the center. Anyway it has been an experience. Thanks again all.

Advertisements