Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How much would it help...

• Please log in to reply

Griff

Griff

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
How much would it help if i upgraded from my 512 RAM to 1GB of RAM (both at 4200 speed)
What exactly would it improve, now i am a gamer, and i play Battlefield 2, would someone please explain what all i would be doing/getting by upgrading? would it help my FPS, load times...stuff like that. thanks
my other specs are
-DEll D 4700
-3.0 GHz
-80gbhd
-512 ram (2x256)
-ATI x700pro

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
When you're running the heaviest game you have open the Task Manager to Processes and compare memory commitment to available memory. Also look at page file usage, if it or commitment are excessive you need more memory. But if your using 70% of memry with your heaviest app then you're probably OK.

Edited by Tyger, 04 July 2005 - 12:51 PM.

lionelhutz5

lionelhutz5

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
It makes a big difference. I have a Dell4600 and just like you, it came with 512MB ram. I upgraded to a gig, and I can run a lot more programs at the same time - burning DVD's (legally) and listengin to music in one of the other drives and writing a paper. It helps a lot. So for games, I imagine it helps too. And it isn't very expensive, depending upon what you are looking for.

Peace,
Jared

Edited by lionelhutz5, 05 July 2005 - 05:08 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah it hepls alot in games especially if they have big levels and alot of detailed textures.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Another great site to use is tigerdirect.com for memory and newegg.com

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Easy does it. Not all memory is created equal. I'd recommend you download and install Everest Home (free) and find out exactly what kind of memory you currently have. Then buy compatable memory or memory with the same (or better) latency and timings. You can also go to Crucial.com and they will match your memory or give you a listing of compaptable memory. I'd be very careful with retail purchased memory and I'd be very careful with Tiger Direct.

NewEgg is in a class of its own and there are a lot of other good online stores for memory but be careful - not all memory is created equal.

Now, the advice you got about the Kingston won't work for you. Your machine has CAS4 PC4200 DDR2 and the referenc is to PC3200 DDR - square peg & round hole. Of note, you also have to install memory in pairs in your machine.

Again - easy does it.

:tazz:

Edited by Rockster2U, 04 July 2005 - 09:44 PM.

Griff

Griff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
bummer, you sure i gotta do it in pairs? cause its cheaper for a 1gig stick at.... http://coastmemory.com

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
The answer from your manual:

DDR2 memory modules should be installed in pairs of matched memory size, speed, and technology.
If the DDR2 memory modules are not installed in matched pairs, the computer will continue to
operate, but with a slight reduction in performance. See the label on the upper-right corner of the
module to determine the module’s capacity.

Your best bet is to buy two (identical to exisiting modules) 256 MB chips. In your specific case, I'd go to Crucial.com

Griff

Griff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
roger that, thanks

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
You're most welcome.

One of the things we all have to keep in mind here is that sometimes free advice is worth just that - nothing. Hope all works out well for you.

Regards,

lionelhutz5

lionelhutz5

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Good catch Rockster. I read too quickly and thought that it was Dell 4600. Sorry for the Kingston error. I'll go back and delete that part in my last post.