Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

usp controller port

• Please log in to reply

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Is your keyboard and mouse connectors USB or ps2 (green and violet round connectors)? If they are USB then obviosly they won't work if you have a problem with the controller. If they are PS2 then first of all make sure you didn't interchange them and they are securely connected. Maybe you should try using the keyboard and mouse from the office. In principle, What you should aim to is to enter Bios and set default values. If after that the USB is still not working then you should reinstall win 98. In most cases it won't affect anything that is installed on HD.

Advertisements

BobButler

BobButler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks,
I did take the computer back to the office and use the keyboard that was working on it and it did start up. However, I couldn't get the defaults to work. I am back to square one. I will re install windows 98 again and see what happen. I'll get back with you later. Thanks again for your support.

BobButler

BobButler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Well. I went ahead and reenstalled windows 98, but I am still in the same fix. I can't get the usb controllers to show up in device manager nor am I able to change any settings in the Bios. I am just about ready to hang it up. If there is anyone who knows anything that has happened to them and they fixed it, please let me know.
Thanks again for all your concerns. BobButler

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
basically there are 3 possibilities:

1: reinstall windows. you did this without success.
2: A system driver is damaged and needs reinstallation. If you have the original drivers' disk that comes with every new computer you should reinatall the drivers. If you don't have it then you must identify your motherboard (there should be markings on it) and look for the drivers in the internet either at the manufacturer's site or in drivers libraries such as driverguide.com.
3: there is a bios problem. You can force default values by removing the battery that keeps parameters for 10-15 minutes. If you are comfortable with digging inside the computer than do the following.

Unplug the computer from the power cable.
open the computer box on the righthand side (looking from back to front)
carefully take out the round silvery battery. take care not to damage the holder.
wait 10-15 minutes, reinstall the battery, close the computer, plug in the power cable and start the computer.

I see no shorter way to fix the problem. try first taking out the battery. that is easy if you can do that. Finding drivers for an old computer can be a tiring business.

best of luck.

BobButler

BobButler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
:tazz: Thanks a lot,
I took out the battery and place it back in after 30 minutes and now I am happy to report that I got my printer back to working. Now, I am trying to get my dsl ethernet modem back to working. I'll report how it all come out. Thanks again you are a great life saver.

lionelhutz5

lionelhutz5

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
I'm glad that you fixed it out. Genius plan. Clearing the CMOS - is was so simple - genius. Way to go v.a!

BobButler

BobButler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
:tazz: Thanks for your vote of confident!!

BobButler

BobButler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
:tazz: Thanks for a job well done!!
I want to thanks all the geeks for sharing in enabling me to get usb port controller back in working condition. With a little help from sbc, I was able to get my dsl modem working for my internet. I want to report that my computer is working fine. Thanks to all who stood with me!! Until next time, BobButler ;)