Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

burning help

• Please log in to reply

whyweigh

whyweigh

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
any help would be great with this problem..
I have a DVD-R burner on my laptop... i have tried using roxio easy media creator 7 and dvd shrink to burn some video onto dvd. The dvds that i get out of the proccess will play on my home player in the living room and any other player i have tried.. but they wont play in my laptop.. the drive does not recognize that there is anything on the dvd.

At first i thought that it was my drive going bad, but i have other dvds that other people have burnt for me on their pc and they play fine on mine..

what am i doing wrong?

thanks in advance,
Shawn

Advertisements

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
first off using dvd shrink to copy is illegal and it should not be done call the FBI for help arsehole

whyweigh

whyweigh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
whoa whoa whoa lets not jump to conclusions here
i am trying to burn a grateful dead concert which is perfectly legal.. and i use dvd shrink so i can fit the whole concert on one dvd.

lionelhutz5

lionelhutz5

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
I know, you sound a little harsh. Burning DVD's for backup purposes is perfectly legal. It is only illegal to give them to someone else. And burning a copy of something he legally bought for his own use is completely legal. Know the law before you complain about someone else again.

And Shawn - have you tried playing the DVD in your home DVD player?

Peace,
Jared

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You might try some different software to burn the dvds, not a roxio fan myself .

whyweigh

whyweigh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
yes, they play in all my standalone players... even my xbox

but they wont play in my laptop...

whyweigh

whyweigh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
ok, i thought it might have been a software issue

but i just downloaded and used alcohol 120% and burned a dvd, still the same problem.

it will play in everything else but the laptop

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
what happens when you try and play it in the laptop? Do you have some dvd software installed on the computer?

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
first off if it is a dvd and he owns it then why does he need a copy. also to help to try to solve the problem can your dvd player software on the notebook play the dvd off of the harddrive.

whyweigh

whyweigh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
yes, they will play off the HD..
and i have windvd and wmp to play dvds

when i put the dvd in the drive the light on the drive flashes for about 10 seconds like its reading the disc, then it turns to a solid light and nothing happens.. if i go to my computer and explore the disc, it shows that there is nothing on it...

but there is stuff on it cause it plays in other players

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
have you checked your machine for malware lately? or maybe the drive is dirty or dying. You could possible check for the latest software/firmware for the drive....

whyweigh

whyweigh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
i tried to update the drivers for the burner, but they are already up to date

i dont believe there is any malware on my machine, and i dont think the drive is dying because it plays other dvds

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
then I would say clean it

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You can need a copy for many reasons if you are going to a lan or some other event you might not want to take your originals in case they get nicked. Or you could like me have a dvd camcorder and want to put them all in one disc or reformat a RW disc. Plus i dont know about anyone else but i loose discs at an astonishing rate, although it is a pleasant surprise to find a long lost game or movie.

You should check for malware any do a full scan for viruses and any other nasty stuff. Use lavasoft adaware as well many things masqeruade as harmless when they arent and it can catch things anti virus scans can miss.
Cleaning is always a good bet, i can say though from personal experience it is really easy to break a laptop drive i bust mt drive and now it only works on its side usually it has similar symptoms to yours as well.

lionelhutz5

lionelhutz5

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
DVD's on my system will play with PowerDVD. However, the burned DVD's never play in PowerDVD. But they do play in the Dell Media Experience. That leads me to believe that the software program on your computer that plays the DVD's has an incompatible DVD decoder. Can you try getting another program and see if that works? After all - your other encoders are reading it, your DVD player, xbox...

Peace,
Jared