Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need award bios info

• Please log in to reply

stvj

stvj

• Pip
  • 2 posts
my current bios can not configer my new Maxtor 80 GB Hard disk . How can i upgrade
Award 4.51pg BIOS.? thank you.

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
To be on the safe side I would email the manufacturer of the motherboard and ask them which BIOS upgrade and which flash utility to use.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Macten is right about contacting the MoBo mfr, but any reputable mfr will have a website where you can find the upgrades for their boards and download them, and FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS VERY CAREFULLY for a BIOS upgrade as a mistake may be irreversable.

Also if you have a Maxtor disk you can go to www.maxtor.com and download MaxBlast4, don't be fooled by the name, it's serious software and you can use it to make all of your drive accessable to your BIOS, even without an upgrade. I've used both the drive overlay software and BIOS upgrades and they can make major improvements in older machines.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Tyger....so with Maxblast4 you can have an older pc recognize a larger hardrive without flashing the BIOS? Do other hardrive manufacturers have similar utilities?

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Yes, but I would advise against third party drive overlays unless its an absolute last resort. If you install a drive overlay and then encounter problems down the road, standard drive utilities, including Windows built in utilities aren't going to work because the drive won't be recognizeable. Bottom line - kiss your data goodbye.

:tazz:

stvj

stvj

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks to all for the help :tazz:

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Curious as to what you did? Did you flash your BIOS or go with an overlay or seek some other solution? Hope all turned out well and that you are now able to use that drive.

Regards,
:tazz: