Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Radeon x700 Pro Problem

• Please log in to reply

LiTHiiUm

LiTHiiUm

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I recently upgraded my 9600xt to a x700 pro, things worked fine for the first couple days but i recently went to install the new catalyst 5.6 driver. To uninstall the old Omega drivers I was using I followed the directions on the Omega drivers website. I also used Driver Cleaner pro in safe mode, twice. Now things are very slow, menus (such as right clicking on the desktop to check out the video properties) are very slow to appear and looks as if they fade in as they show up. Since i know a bit about computers i assumed it was a driver problem, I then went to add/remove programs and removed the current ATI driver. Then booted into safe mode and ran Driver Cleaner Pro, each time deleting all that it found. Then re-booted and installed the current driver for the new card. Things are still slow and its quite obvious its still a driver problem, any1 help?

Edited by LiTHiiUm, 04 July 2005 - 07:43 PM.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. I see you have tried cleaning with Driver Cleaner and followed my usual suggested procedure. Are you sure you have the correct driver for your video card? Have you checked the manufacturers web page for information to troubleshoot this problem? I agree with you, it is probably a driver problem. Sometimes these can be difficult to fix. It can be done but it takes lots of time and patience. In my own custom built system, I had a random crash restart issue that was due to the video driver. The driver installed came with the Nvidia video card, and was installed from their install cd. I looked for an update on Nvidia's web page, found one and tried that. It didn't work. Then I found the driver cleaner procedure that I have posted so many times. I tried that. It didn't work. I then tried updating my bios (Gigibyte motherboard). I flashed the bios. That seemed to fix it. So far (about 4 months now) the flashed bios and updated Nvidia driver work flawlessly. I don't have a magic fix for you, but by the example of my personal experience I hope to give you some ideas as to how to proceed.

LiTHiiUm

LiTHiiUm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hmm, You bring up a good point, it is about time for a bios update. Let me give that a try and see if it fixes anything. Ive dug deeper into the problem though. I can instal the drivers that came with the card flawlessly, but when i try to install the new catalyst drivers the install always gets hung up at the WDM install part. So I just downloaded the 5.6 video driver, wiped the old drivers using your method again then installed catalyst control center that came with my card and driver that came with my card. After that installed the 5.6 driver over the old driver. I still have problems with battlefield 2 but i think that worked in all other respects. Let me try a bios update and ill get back with you, thanks for the help.

Edited by LiTHiiUm, 09 July 2005 - 12:52 PM.