Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

slow xp shutdown

• Please log in to reply

lov2puf

lov2puf

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Anytime i shut down windows xp it takes about 10 mins to shut down hangs at desktop for a few then hangs on logging off screen then the windows is shutting down screen then finally shuts down i am running a gateway with windows xp norton anti-virus/internet security d.s.l. signal on 3.0ghz 1.0 gb of ram pentium 4

Advertisements

demirkol

demirkol

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
any spywares?

lov2puf

lov2puf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
yes i have registry mechanic, hijackthis, adaware se plus,spyware doctor,spybot and cws shredder

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Defragment your HD and see if that helps any. You could also try this: Start>control panel>system>advanced settings>restart settings (bottom one of the 3 settings)>under your operating system you will see two numbers. Change them to half of what they are now and press ok. Keep doing that until you like the speed of the shutdown and startup of your system. My two numbers are: 3 and 5

Emery

lov2puf

lov2puf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i defragged and changed the settings u suggested to 3 seconds and 5 seconds and still no change any other help would be greatly appreciated :tazz:

Edited by lov2puf, 05 July 2005 - 11:23 AM.