Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Replacement

• Please log in to reply

Blangeron

Blangeron

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi... I'm just waiting patiently while Ad-Aware does its thing next door. According to hard drive tests done w/ PC-Doctor I did a few months ago, I have extensive physical damage to my hard drive, but this little trooper of a drive has held on far longer than I thought. I have tried to run hard drive test w/ PC-Doctor since then without success. I live in South Dakota, so no shot at a reasonable deal on a drive. I was looking at Western Digital 80G SATA 7200rmp drives. Anyone have any first hand experience with the cheaper/riskier internet sites such as pricewatch.com or buy.com??? Do I dare pay less and not have access to a cust. svc. rep? Do I have to get the same brand I have in here now? Are those drives refurbished? I have a 40GB drive in now, so should I stop at 80B or go for 150B perhaps while I'm at it? And.... how daring should I be about installing Windows XP for the first time? Thanks for having me over!!!!! :tazz:

Email Removed

Edited by soxrok, 04 July 2005 - 09:06 PM.

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Pricewatch and Buy.com are all safe sites but its good to check where you are purchasing it from....try newegg.com and tigerdirect, its always good to update your parts and keep them new- and installing windows xp as the latest operating system is a great upgrade and very easy to install! If you ever need guidance to which exact model or how to install anything, just come back here :tazz:

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
You need to make sure the interface is the same and my bet is that your machine isn't compatable with a Serial ATA drive so lose that thought. If it has a 40 pin cable going into the drive, its a standard ATA drive also refered to as an IDE drive or a parallel ATA drive (different terminology for the same basic drive type). Since it sounds like you live out in the sticks, go to this place and buy a drive online - they are rated as the best of the best for online merchants. You can get a good 80MB drive for roughly $50. My preference for a basic drive - Samsung. Three year warranty and excellent product. Believe their 7200rpm 80 Gig drive is right at $50 plus a couple buck shipping - you'll have it inside of three days.

:tazz: