Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I want to restore my XP to factory settings

• Please log in to reply

bc20tank

bc20tank

• Pip
  • 4 posts
;) I'm having a few problems with my pc. I wanna restore my pc to factory settings. It's running XP. And my recovery disk isn't working. Every time I try running my recovery disk, it ejects and says to remove all cds from driver. then the screen freezes. Any suggestions or helpful tricks? :tazz:

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Make and model of your system??

Murray

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Why not just restore your system to the earliest restore point in System Restore? It may not take you all the way back to factory settings, but it may take you back to where your machine is working properly.

makai

bc20tank

bc20tank

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Okay I'm using a Compaq Presario 5000 series. I tried to do a system restore, but now it says I have no restore dates in my logs. Thanks for the quick replies. Any help is greatly appreciated. :tazz:

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Okay.. I have to assume the Recovery cd you are referring to is the Compaq Recovery cd??

Boot into BIOS and make sure the first boot device is set to the cd-rom..

Put your recovery disk into the cd-rom drive, save the change to BIOS and exit..

Now what happens??

Murray

stephanier

stephanier

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i would like to restore my computer to its factory settings but i dont have the original installation disc. Is there any other way to do it? Also what would you need to add for the computer to have more space. specifically for music and games?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi stephanier, welcome.

Please start your own thread for this as it gets confusing trying to answer two people in the same thread. Should also help you get more attention.

Thanks,

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
One thing you can check on is buying a recovery CD from H-P. I just bought a set of 3 cd's for $17 from H-P for a presario SR2100WM.

http://h10025.www1.h...n...=en&lang=en

Which i doubt that you can get if this is a approx 1.0 gig processor. If so the computer is too old to really do anything with. The only drivers on the H-P website is graphics and audio, so that should tell you there's not much on the net for that computer.

SRX660