Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Heatsink is very loud

• Please log in to reply

Schiffy

Schiffy

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
After building my new computer, i realize how silent it was, then after playing some games and such the heatsink seemed to run faster and was louder. i figured it was normal seeing i was using my computer more. but it never got quite again. Now it is extremely loud and quite annoying. Is there a way to solve this without buying a silent heatsink.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
first off it's the fan not the heatsink :tazz: second have you checked to see if something isn't getting down into the fan blades? How about dust? could be that the fan is going and needs to be replaced.

Schiffy

Schiffy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
yeh :-p i meant the fan. but it is a brand new heatsink. i went into my bios, turned on cool and quiet, it became quiet. then it becomes loud randomly. assuming when it has a lot of work to do

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
About the only thing I can think of is you could try reseating the hsf and reapplying some heatsink compound. Just be warned that if you have a retail processor that you may void your warranty if you do this. NOTE: if you do this you need to clean the processor and heatsink of all the old compound and reaply some new stuff in a thin a layer as possible. When I did this it dropped my temps about 10 degrees which might keep your fan from spinning up so much. Good luck

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Or get a quieter fan or a new hsf. If it is a stock hsf it will get pretty noisy if it is running at full load there arent many hsfs that dont, most people dont notice it as it is usually only that load if they are playing a game and alot of people listen to music whenever they are on there pc.

Schiffy

Schiffy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
i appreciate all your help everyone, i see what i can do :tazz:

gtippery

gtippery

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

About the only thing I can think of is you could try reseating the hsf and reapplying some heatsink compound.  Just be warned that if you have a retail processor that you may void your warranty if you do this.  NOTE: if you do this you need to clean the processor and heatsink of all the old compound and reaply some new stuff in a thin a layer as possible.  When I did this it dropped my temps about 10 degrees which might keep your fan from spinning up so much.  Good luck

View Post

Good advice, but one clarification -- if you do this right, the heat from the processor will be more readily transferred to the heatsink. The processor will be cooler than before, but the heatsink will be hotter (this is a good thing). Whether the fan slows down or speeds up depends on where the temperature is being sensed -- could be inside the chip, or on the outside of the chip (inside the socket), or on the HS (mostly older MBs).

mbwizca

mbwizca

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Also have a look at your video card.
Some like my Matrox Millennium P750 triple output, have a fan on it, this is also a heat sensitive fan.
I mainly use this for 2D Autocad, but on 3D stuff, the fan makes more noise than the CPU and power supply together! :tazz:

I actualy got an other fan that is less noisy and partly solved the problem. I will install a duct from it to the exterior of the PC

miller4life

miller4life

• Pip
  • 7 posts
ok I had a problem like this..... I bulit my puter and had a thermaltake volcano 6 cu + heat sink fan that ran at 7800 to 8100 rpms niether to say less it sounded like a valcum cleaner from the other end of the house after 12 or so months the noise finially got to me. I went out and bought a gigabyte G-Power coolerwith a bigger fan and 4 heatpipes.....WOW what a complete difference..... a lot quieter and it cools alot better. I have a amd 1800 overclocked to run at 1.9ghz and it runs idle at 27 degrees c and with a load on the cpu it runs 35 degrees c . the fan has a 110mm fan which alows more air flow with less noise. I would say getting a new heat sink and fan or see if your heat sink will upgrade to a bigger fan.

Edited by miller4life, 13 July 2005 - 07:11 PM.