Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

msn games

• Please log in to reply

suegy

suegy

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I cannot play the games on msn games -zone.com. I used to be able to, but since installing Service Pack 2 on my computer, it seems, they won't load from this site. I have checked their help section many times, emailed their support group for help, and all they ever do is refer me back to the same help pages I've already read and tried all the things on the list. None of these things make any difference, and I am hoping someone can tell me what to do. I have installed Active X Control as they suggested as well as disable the Java Sun software. It doesn't matter whether it is on or not, the games do not load. I get as far as Bespelled is loading, please be patient, but then it just sits there like that and never goes anywhere.

Can someone please give me some suggestions on how to fix this so I can play the games??? I would certainly appreciate it if anyone could please help me out here.

Thanks.

S. Gilson

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Do you have a firewall up in SP2? Did you try downloading in IE or Firefox?

suegy

suegy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Do you have a firewall up in SP2? Did you try downloading in IE or Firefox?

View Post

I do have the Windows Firewall as well as Spygate. Do you mean did I try to download internet explorer? No I didn't. And I did not try to download Firefox. Is that a firewall as well?

Thank You!

S. Gilson

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Disable one of your firewalls.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Also after you disable one of the firewalls, check the firewall to see what's going on while you are trying to play these games. You probably have code or cookies or something blocked for all sites. You will probably have to enable some of the things you have blocked only for MSN.

-=jonnyrotten=- <_<

suegy

suegy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Also after you disable one of the firewalls, check the firewall to see what's going on while you are trying to play these games.  You probably have code or cookies or something blocked for all sites.  You will probably have to enable some of the things you have blocked only for MSN.

-=jonnyrotten=- <_<

View Post

Ok, but what exactly do you mean by checking the firewall and how do I do that? I know how to disable them and turn them back on, but I don't know just what you mean by seeing what is going on and how to change anything. Can you help me there?

Thanks in advance.

S. Gilson

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Open whatever firewall you have running while your are trying to play the Games. If it is blocking msn from using the games it will tell you that it is blocking Msn, or it will say an ip address. You can enable and disable certain aspects. You just have to find out which ones by looking at the same time as it is blocking, or check the log. Look at the exact time you are trying to play games and then go to the log and see what is logged for that time. If nothing, then the firewall is probably not the problem.

-=jonnyrotten=-

suegy

suegy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Unfortunately, I had no luck with this. I disabled and then enabled both firewalls separately, but the games stilll would not load. Then I looked at each one's logs, but I didn't see anything that looked like msn games that was blocked. My logs did not look like the thumbnail you sent me, however. Apparently, I don't really know what I'm looking for. If you think you can help me further, please let me know. Otherwise, I'll just forget about it and not be able to play the games. I don't know what else to do.

Thank you for all of your help so far.

Have a great day!

S. Gilson

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
I'm pretty sure we can work it out, just keep checking back as I will work on this. In the meantime let us take a closer look at what is running on your PC. We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool (HiJackThis) and post a log back here with the results.

Click the HijackThis Guide in my signature, download it and follow the instructions in the guide.

Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

-=jonnyrotten=- <_<

suegy

suegy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Thank You!

Here are the results of the latest Hijack This!

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 2:41:22 PM, on 10/11/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ezSP_Px.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\ltmoh\Ltmoh.exe
C:\Program Files\EzButton\CplBTQ00.EXE
C:\Program Files\Toshiba Controls\CpRmtKey.EXE
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\Power Management\CePMTray.exe
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\E-KEY\CeEKey.exe
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TouchPad\TPTray.exe
C:\toshiba\ivp\ism\pinger.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\AudioCentral\RxMon.exe
C:\Program Files\ICQLite\ICQLite.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy Media Creator 7\Drag to Disc\DrgToDsc.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_05\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\CDANTSRV.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RAMASST.exe
C:\Program Files\SlipStream Web Accelerator\slipaccel.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntvdm.exe
C:\Program Files\Handspring\HOTSYNC.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Webshots\webshots.scr
C:\WINDOWS\System32\DVDRAMSV.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\AudioCentral\Playlist.exe
C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.intergate.com/startpage
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=127.0.0.1:5400
O1 - Hosts: Usage Information:
O1 - Hosts: Save Changes - Save any changes you make to hosts file
O1 - Hosts: Reset Default - Will Replace any existing Hosts with a Windows Default one, original file doesn't have to exist
O1 - Hosts: Save Log - Will Save the Hosts as a Text file, Good for Posting
O1 - Hosts: _________________________________________________________________
O1 - Hosts: Enable and Disable - Will Swap Hosts Files On the Fly for those that want to use Hosts, and Temporarily Disable it.
O1 - Hosts: Scan for Hosts - Will Search your Windows Drive for Hosts Files, useful if Hosts is in wrong location or installed to Alternate location by Trojan.
O1 - Hosts: Delete - Does exactly that, Delete and Hosts File Selected in the Listbox.
O1 - Hosts: By Option^Explicit, [email protected]
O2 - BHO: PBlockHelper Class - {4115122B-85FF-4DD3-9515-F075BEDE5EB5} - C:\Program Files\SlipStream Web Accelerator\PBHELPER.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ezShieldProtector for Px] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ezSP_Px.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LtMoh] C:\Program Files\ltmoh\Ltmoh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CplBTQ00] C:\Program Files\EzButton\CplBTQ00.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CpRmtKey] "C:\Program Files\Toshiba Controls\CpRmtKey.EXE"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CeEPOWER] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\Power Management\CePMTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CeEKEY] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\E-KEY\CeEKey.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TPNF] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TouchPad\TPTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Pinger] c:\toshiba\ivp\ism\pinger.exe /run
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PrinTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\printray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NewsletterReader] C:\Program Files\Newsletter Reader\newstray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] "C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioEngineUtility] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\System\EngUtil.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioAudioCentral] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\AudioCentral\RxMon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Drag'n Drop CD+DVD] C:\Program Files\Drag'n Drop CD+DVD\BinFiles\DragDrop.exe /StartUp
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ICQ Lite] C:\Program Files\ICQLite\ICQLite.exe -minimize
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Component Manager] "C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Bart Station] C:\Program Files\ISP50\hta\station.sbrt
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RoxioDragToDisc] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy Media Creator 7\Drag to Disc\DrgToDsc.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SmcService] C:\PROGRA~1\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe -startgui
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_05\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - Startup: Event Reminder.lnk = C:\pmw2\PMREMIND.EXE
O4 - Startup: Forget Me Not Reminders.lnk = C:\CACARD\FMREMIND.EXE
O4 - Startup: HotSync Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\Handspring\HOTSYNC.EXE
O4 - Startup: Webshots.lnk = C:\Program Files\Webshots\Launcher.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Corel Colleagues & Contacts Reminders.LNK = C:\Program Files\Corel\Print Office\cffrem.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Forget Me Not.lnk = C:\Program Files\Broderbund\AG Spirit\AGremind.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: RAMASST.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\system32\RAMASST.exe
O4 - Global Startup: SlipStream.lnk = C:\Program Files\SlipStream Web Accelerator\slipaccel.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Show All Original Images - res://C:\Program Files\SlipStream Web Accelerator\slipaccel.exe/250
O8 - Extra context menu item: Show Original Image - res://C:\Program Files\SlipStream Web Accelerator\slipaccel.exe/227
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra button: ICQ 4.1 - {B863453A-26C3-4e1f-A54D-A2CD196348E9} - C:\Program Files\ICQLite\ICQLite.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: ICQ Lite - {B863453A-26C3-4e1f-A54D-A2CD196348E9} - C:\Program Files\ICQLite\ICQLite.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .bcf: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPBelv32.dll
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Pool 2 - http://download.game...ts/y/pote_x.cab
O16 - DPF: {B8BE5E93-A60C-4D26-A2DC-220313175592} (ZoneIntro Class) - http://zone.msn.com/...ro.cab27513.cab
O16 - DPF: {E5D419D6-A846-4514-9FAD-97E826C84822} (HeartbeatCtl Class) - http://fdl.msn.com/z...s/heartbeat.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{61375F83-2040-4715-984E-15E186515C02}: Domain = intergate.com
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{61375F83-2040-4715-984E-15E186515C02}: NameServer = 216.139.64.16 216.139.64.17

Thanks again!

S. Gilson

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Sounds like something is blocking ActiveX controls--which is great for security, but not so good with some Microsoft site (i.e. msnzone).

Have you installed spywareblaster or Spybot S&D? Start by Clicking Tools on your Internet Explorer toolbar. Then Internet Options..., and the Advanced tab. Click the Restore Defaults button.

suegy

suegy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I do have installed Spybot S&D, but I didn't install it recently. I did restore the defaults as you suggested, but that one particular game still does not load. I tried a different game earlier today from the same site, and it worked, so I don't understand what the problem could be.
Thanks!

S. Gilson

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Which game are you having the trouble with?

suegy

suegy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Bespelled.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
When I click on Bespelled, in Internet Explorer I get a message bar, with a bloop sound...
"This site might require the following ActiveX control: 'MSN Instant Games' from 'Microsoft Corporation MSN'. Click here to install."

I see you have SP2, did you get the same?