Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

BROWSER PROBLEMS

• Please log in to reply

Guest_crapwheresmycrowbar_*

This has been happening ever since I installed Firefox. About 1 in 5 times when I load it up (Firefox that is), it says that my homepage, www.google.com cannot be found. Whati t exactly says is "www.google.com cannot be found. Please check the name and try again" Obviously, google is a website, so I pinned the problem on Firefox. I can temporarily cure this but doing 2 thing . Restart my computer...or constantly stream a video/audio over the internet to get both computers flashing blue in my LAC. While streaming over the net, I can load up Firefox and browse normally. (I don't constantly have to stream; only until my homepage loads)

One day, I repeatedly restarted my computer and the problem didn't go away. I was sick of streaming too so I loaded up IE (working fine), and proceeded to download Netscape 8 (full version, not beta) as a backup. I wanted to try and use IE as little as possible. The funny thing is, when I start up Netscape, I get the same problem as I do with Firefox. I realise Netscape 8.0 is built on FireFox 1.0 so they must have something in common...BUT, at the same time, this proved to me that the problem wasn't just with Firefox 1.0.4.

I am thinking of trying Opera, but those advertisements in the free version repel me...
I don't think the problem is with a virus/spyware/adware...I'm running AVG Free and Norton AntiVirus 2005 (which is terrible) and they both show up clean. As do Ad-Aware, Spybot and Acronis PES 8.0. I am running Win XP Pro SP2 and use the ZoneAlarm Free Firewall.

Can you help?

Can you help

Advertisements

Caine

Caine

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Have you tried to back-up your profiles in firefox and done a thorough uninstall/reinstall yet? I'm no expert and I've never seen this problem using Firefox 1.0.4 myself, so sorry I can't be any more help.

Incidentally, as far as I'm aware it's considered very bad practice to have 2 AV programs running. They can interfere with each others diagnosis in the same way that 2 kids in a park calling for the same ball are likely to both step back at the last second expecting the other to take over, resulting in both of them missing it.

Have you tried to back-up your profiles in firefox and done a thorough uninstall/reinstall yet? I'm no expert and I've never seen this problem using Firefox 1.0.4 myself, so sorry I can't be any more help.

Incidentally, as far as I'm aware it's considered very bad practice to have 2 AV programs running. They can interfere with each others diagnosis in the same way that 2 kids in a park calling for the same ball are likely to both step back at the last second expecting the other to take over, resulting in both of them missing it.

View Post

I recently reinstalled Firefox because when I accidentally installed the "safariish theme" for Mac OS X It stuffed up Firefox and made it refuse to open...

I had the problem before that though...

Thanks for your help anyway.