Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problems downloading .msi files

• Please log in to reply

Aelborn

Aelborn

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I am running Windows XP home w/SP2. I have recently started having problems downloading msi install packages. The file starts to download just fine but after about 240K of a 500k download, it just stops. The download will finally time out.

I went to my father's house and downloaded the files to a flash drive so I know the problem isn't with the source.

Any ideas?

Aelborn

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
how about downloading aother formats? like for example an audio file, does it do the same or would it download successfully?
there is no reason why it shouldn't download .msi files if it can download other files from the internet.

Aelborn

Aelborn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
No problem downloading other audio files, it just seems to be install packages like .msi.

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
usually install files get downloaded from ftp sites.
I had similar problem in downloading .exe files on my pc if going through ftp as the speed drops dramatically within 10 mins and goes into hault!
try finding the same .msi on an http site.

Aelborn

Aelborn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
The files I am dowloading are small applications in support of a third party program used with a game program. I am not likely to find these applications in very many places, unfortunately.