Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Irreversible damage?

• Please log in to reply

darqblue42

darqblue42

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
:tazz: Hi all,

Last night I was following another post on this forum which described how to clean your PC of almost all Spyware by means of using several different anti-spyware freeware, etc.

Some bad files in my registry showed up in one of the scans, so I went to my registry to delete them. Was this a bad idea!

I could delete most of the files the scanner reported as bad, but when I tried to delete a couple files in the registry, Windows wouldn't let me, saying they were in use. (Obviously I should have stopped here...)

Stupidly, I simply MOVED the ostensibly evil files (to my desktop for easy finding) instead of deleting them, thinking this would do the trick. I then re-booted.

When my computer finished restarting and I tried to login to my XP account, an error message showed up saying something with the filename "wininet.dll" in it, a file I recognized to be one of the files I had moved FROM my registry. When I click "OK", my Windows seems to hang in between logging into my account and actually being there (it seems the operating system won't load fully/correctly).

Now I can't use THAT installation of Windows. (I have installed a new Windows on the same partition; my files are still accessible, but this "new" OS is bare-bones.)

Is there any way to restore this "wininet.dll" file to its original home in my registry so Windows can function properly?

Your time and help is much appreciated!!
Thank you.

Advertisements

Irongeek

Irongeek

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Last night I was following another post on this forum which described how to clean your PC of almost all Spyware by means of using several different anti-spyware freeware, etc.

Some bad files in my registry showed up in one of the scans, so I went to my registry to delete them. Was this a bad idea!

Making changes to the windows registry (database) one mis-configuration can make your OS unstable. That's why before modifying the Windows registry you make a back up of it so when stuff like this happens it's no big deal because you can back it up to a previous working state.

Is there any way to restore this "wininet.dll" file to its original home in my registry so Windows can function properly?

If you go here http://www.dll-files...s.shtml?wininet

you can download that file you need for free. Also, anti-spyware applications make changes to the registry 3rd party applications like spybot, adaware etc... should be ran in SAFE MODE.

darqblue42

darqblue42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Irongeek,

How can I put the file back into the registry if I can't even get into Windows all the way? How do I access anything if the OS isn't working properly?

Thank you for the help!