Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot renew IP

• Please log in to reply

ern

ern

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok, I had 2 laptops conected to internet through a wireless router, but now that I'm getting rid of the one w/ the wireless card, I want to connect the remaining laptop (which was wired to the router) directly to the cable modem. I have a perfect connection when I go through the router, but when I attempt to connect directly through the cable modem, I get "limited or no connectivity," and I really do have no connection.

I've tried reinstalling the modem software, but it fails at "renewing IP address" and asks me to verify that the computer is connected to the modem. Of course it is! I've tried both Ethernet and USB connections. But the two devices aren't communicating.

What could be the problem?

Thanks for any insight you might have!

I'm running Windows XP SP2 on a Toshiba Satellite A25-S207, Motorola Surfboard Modem SB5120 Series, Linksys BEFW11S4 router, Cox Cable internet.

These are my TCP/IP settings:

Obtain an IP address automatically
Obtain DNS server address automatically
Alternate configuration: Automatic private IP address

DHCP Enabled
Automatic metric enabled

Append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes
Register this connection's addresses in DNS

Enable LMHOSTS lookup
NetBIOS setting: default

TCP/IP filtering disabled

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you are going directly from your pc to the modem with ethernet i believe you have to use a crossover cable

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
no you dont need a cross over cable
have you uninstalled any software that came with the router

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
1. Click Start, click Run, type "ncpa.cpl" (without the quotation marks) and press Enter.

2. Right-click the connection with an overlaid yellow symbol and click Properties.

3. Click on the "General" tab, highlight "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)", and click Properties.

4. Click on the "Alternative Configuration" tab, select the "User configured" radio box.

5. Type 192.168.0.2 in the "IP Address" field.

6. Type 255.255.255.0 in the "Subnet mask" field.

7. Click OK twice.

Johanna

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
anyone set it up the router for you originally? Which PC was first, the one you are removing from the equation or the one you have now.

Some ISPs require a MAC address before allowing connection to their network. Most routers will allow you to clone the address. So if the other PC was the one you signed up with, and the router cloned the mac address, then the ISP dhcp server will only authorize an IP address for the other PC (or the router that it thinks is the other PC).

Does any of that sound familiar?

ern

ern

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks, all.

I tried the steps Czarina listed with no luck.

As for router software, I have none installed on this computer.

The other laptop was the original one on the router, but even when I manually assign the IP address of the router to this computer to try to connect, I can't get it to work.

Any other ideas?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
when you go through the router have a look at what the ip address is
then put it in as a static address

Ctrl_Alt_Del

Ctrl_Alt_Del

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
If you already have the router and it's working for you then you get a little better security if you have a router between you and the cable modem....you may want to leave it.

If for some reason you really need the router out of the way then
1) first make sure that you have both, obtain an IP address automatically and obtain DNS server address automatically in your tcp/ip configuration checked then
2)disconnect the power source from the cable modem
3) shut down the PC
4) re-connect the PC to the cable modem.
5) Wait a few minutes then plug the cable modem back in
6) Wait until the modem has tested and connected
7) Turn the PC back on
8) If the PC doesn't find new hardware then install the modem drivers

Ctrl_Alt_Del

Ctrl_Alt_Del

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Oh and some cable companies will fine you if they find out that you have assigned a PC a static IP address so I would NOT do that.

ern

ern

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks! I followed the steps and we're in business, router-free.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
was this the 8 steps you followed?

ern

ern

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
yup, the 8 steps worked.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
well done Ctrl_Alt_Del

Ctrl_Alt_Del

Ctrl_Alt_Del

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Thanks! Glad to be able to help.

WordSpidee

WordSpidee

• Pip
  • 1 posts

1. Click Start, click Run, type "ncpa.cpl" (without the quotation marks) and press Enter.

2. Right-click the connection with an overlaid yellow symbol and click Properties.

3. Click on the "General" tab, highlight "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)", and click Properties.

4. Click on the "Alternative Configuration" tab, select the "User configured" radio box.

5. Type 192.168.0.2 in the "IP Address" field.

6. Type 255.255.255.0 in the "Subnet mask" field.

7. Click OK twice.

Johanna

Wow! Thank you, Johanna. I just found this site tonight because my laptop refused to connect with my wireless router. I tried your step-by-step suggestions, and now I have a connection! :)