Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pls help me with buying a DVD recorder!

• Please log in to reply

tinac

tinac

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am totally stupid when it comes to computers and all the info like RAM, GB, MB, etc. I just can't get it to stick in my head what all that means. I do however work on a computer every single day and can find my way around the web with no problems. I am currently wanting to make copies of the movies that I rent from Blockbuster online so that I will be able to have a nice collection of movies and my kids will be able to watch them over and over again. I want to buy a DVD burner but have no clue where to start or what to look for. I would like to spend no more than $50 (including shipping and handling). I want it to copy the special features also. I don't care if it's internal or external as long as its USB. My FIL will install it for me. He knows a lot about this stuff but I don't want to bother him or let him know how stupid I really am lol. Please, can anyone out there tell me exactly where to go and what to buy? I just want to be able to buy this thing and start copying the DVDs that I rent. They are for me and my family, NOT for resell or anything illegal like that. PLEASE help!! Thanks! Tina

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Actually that is illegal. You are not allowed ( legally ) to make copies of movies you rent only the ones you buy. Sorry.

tinac

tinac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Why is it illegal to copy it for just myself and my kids? I'm not reselling. Why would I want to buy it and then copy it? I would already have a copy. You are probably right, but it just doesn't make sense.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
well if you are in the united states you have to OWN it you don't the video store OWNS it. Renting does not give you the right to copy it. Nor does borrowing it from a friend. They can make a copy for THEMSELVES but not for anyone else. Making money from doing this has nothing to do with it. In order to have any legal legs to stand on you MUST BUY the dvd.

----edit-----

as far as making sense look at it from the other side..... why would any movie company want to allow their movies rented if anyone who rents could then make copies..... No one would buy any anymore they'd just rent and copy.....

Edited by shard92, 06 July 2005 - 11:51 AM.