Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lookin for some recommendations! :)

• Please log in to reply

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Hey guys,

Im buildin a new rig again...and i already have 120 gig and a 160 gig hd, a dvd burner, 1 gig of pc 3200, and a fx 5700 to be put towards the new machine....the problem is now finding a mobo, processer and case- and especially cooling!

I have already decided on a Asus A8V Deluxe for a board unless someone can recommend better, and for a processer i probably want to go with a 64 3200+ or higher but cant find a good deal on one...the biggest problem i face is finding a case and some proper cooling...

I want a case preferably with a temperature gauge in the front or a attachment i can put in my PC to moniter the temperature- also a cheap and silent PSU...and for cooling i want something that will get the job done but be SILENT- i really stress the silent part

If anyone has any recommendations i would really appritiate it

I dont have as much money to spend on these parts so budget parts would be nice! :tazz:

Advertisements

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
These are my suggestions ;)

cooling - http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835118112

CPU - http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103535

motherboard - http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813130468

case - http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811146015

:tazz:

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 1,470 posts
I really liked the cooler for the CPU and will purchase that- i think i will also get the 3200+ unless something better comes up...the motherboard i think i am gonna get the a8v...but i still need a case- something cheaper then 80 bucks with shipping would be nice...i appritiate your suggestions...others are welcome :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah a 3200 would be a good idea the venice cores run cool. You might think some cheap water cooling: the cool river deluxe is cheap and effective you can eliminate all but the one 120mm fan it comes with if you want. Case for silence theres only one place to go and thats Antec they are the masters even the cases that arent designed to be quiet are still alot quieter than there competitors and they have just released the P180 and the sonata 2. Both at a good price and the sonata has a silent PSU big enough for your needs. Antec are the best at giving you quality kit on a budget i just got my super lanboy for 50 quid the same as alot of budget cases and it came with two 120mm fans.

I assume the gfx is AGP which will be a big limit and you will have to replace the mobo to upgrade the graphics it might be worth your while to get another card and sell the fx5700. It also means you can get a newer chipset mobo.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 1,470 posts

the cool river deluxe is cheap and effective you can eliminate all but the one 120mm fan it comes with if you want.

^could u get me a link for that product...everytime i google it i get German writing or other foreign languages :tazz:

I assume the gfx is AGP which will be a big limit and you will have to replace the mobo to upgrade the graphics it might be worth your while to get another card and sell the fx5700. It also means you can get a newer chipset mobo.

View Post

^ please go further into this...not quite sure what you mean Here is my motherboard i will go with

Also do you have a link for the case you got- my dvd burner is black so if you see one with a black color would be nice- sounds like a good price ;)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Dunno you brit or yank just to make this easier. ( or any other mationality just goin with the general forum make up)

They have stopped making newer cards for AGP past the current cards out now you wont be able to get anything newer than an x850 or 6800Ultra.

Edited by warriorscot, 05 July 2005 - 03:42 PM.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Ahh for right now i think im fine wit teh AGP until another bigger upgrade in the future to switch the mobo...

do you have a link to the cool river deluxe?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
http://www.custompc....ver-deluxe.html thats a review on the coolriver deluxe it german so that might be why you got german pages.
www.scan.co.uk have them but im not sure of there availability outside europe.

Got my lanboy from Amazon was quite surprised that not only was it cheaper it arrived before everything else. Only narrowly beating the PSU and keyboard. Hiper PSUs are real crackers pretty and functional what more can you ask.

The sonata 2 has a 450W psu or the sonata 1 has a 380W i coulda swore those PSUs came in a smaller size last time i looked anyway you can find them here http://www.overclock...ntec_Cases.html.

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

They have stopped making newer cards for AGP past the current cards out now you wont be able to get anything newer than an x850 or 6800Ultra.

View Post

From what I have read only nVidia is doing that.Ati is still going to make AGP cards

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Ati website said no last week, but they may have changed there minds to get one over nvidia we will have to wait until the r520s come out to find out for sure though.

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 1,470 posts

http://www.custompc....ver-deluxe.html thats a review on the coolriver deluxe it german so that might be why you got german pages.
www.scan.co.uk have them but im not sure of there availability outside europe.

Anyway to get one to me in the US :tazz:

Appritiate your help boys

As always Antec cases are of course quite, specially with the material they are made out of...but they arent as easy on the $$ either ;)

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
If I may, I would suggest the artic cooling Freezer 64. quieter, cheaper, easier to install than the zalman, from the reviews I have read. seems to be around $35, bu oddly newegg didnt list it...

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Zalman makes the best and most quiet coolers in the world so I would go for that. On my machine I also use the same one you are planning to get.

Go for it!

Emery

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The freezer 64 has recently been reviewed by a few places and they all said it was the best unless you want to spend alot of money on a reserator. In the PC world there are no absolutes zalman dont make the best anyway, thermalright do if you want to be picky at the moment.
Well most things can get shipped to the US if you want it there are a few net shops that sell in both they could probably manage to get one brought across if you ask them. Really antec have always been among the cheapest i have looked at my lanboy was only 51 quid which was the same price as alot of the budget cases. And the sonata 2 is selling for 85 quid here for a case with fans and included that would be good, but it also comes with a PSU that you can buy seperatley for the SAME price.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 1,470 posts
I think ill end up going with the zalmans-

Computer so far:

Mobo- Asus A8V Deluxe
Case- POWMAX DEMON IV w/ 450 PSU
Processor: NONE
Memory: 1 gig of pc3200
Harddrive- 1 X 120gig, 1 X 160 gig
Optical- Dvd-+RW
Graphics- Asus Geforce FX5700
Cooling- NONE besides stock fans that come with case?

any advice for the opens?