Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems removing rdriv [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
isn't a good one to have on your system. When are you aware that it is there? How does it show up?

Regards,

Trevuren

Advertisements

Sjak

Sjak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I only found it because on another posting on this website it said that this file could cause problems, and since I was looking to resolve my problems I found the file on my computer.
Do I need to do anything more? Is my HJT file clean? Should I now install the other windows downloads and service pack 2 or better not?
Thank you again for your help!

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Is the file still there?

Trevuren

Sjak

Sjak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Yes, it is still there..

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
This is what is called a "rootkit" type infection. Don't worry we can fix it but I am presently conferring with the"brains" about the best way to proceed inasmuch as your case is slightly different than most.

I will get back to you with a fix within the next 24 hours.

Regards,

Trevuren

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Please follow all instructions as specified. Print these instructions to ensure all are followed.

Please download the following programs, but do not run them yet:

* rdrivRem.zip
  • Unzip it to your desktop.
* Ewido Security Suite
  • Install ewido security suite
  • Launch ewido, there should be a big E icon on your desktop, double-click it.
  • The program will prompt you to update click the OK button
  • The program will now go to the main screen
  • You will need to update ewido to the latest definition files.
  • On the left hand side of the main screen click update
  • Click on Start
  • The update will start and a progress bar will show the updates being installed
  • After the updates are installed exit Ewido.
* CleanUp!
  • Install it.
* Killbox by Option^Explicit
  • Save it to your desktop.
Reboot your computer into Safe Mode. You can do this by restarting your computer and continually tapping the F8 key until a menu appears. Use your up arrow key to highlight "Safe Mode" then hit enter.

1.) Please double-click rdrivRem.bat to run the program - follow the instructions on the screen. After it's complete, rdriv.txt will be created in the rdrivRem folder.

2.) Double-click the Ewido Security Suite icon to run the program.
  • Click on scanner
  • Click Complete System Scan
  • Let the program scan the machine
While the scan is in progress you will be prompted to clean the first infected file it finds. Choose "clean", then put a check next to "Perform action on all infections" in the left corner of the box so you don't have to sit and watch Ewido the whole time. Click OK.

Once the scan has completed, there will be a button located on the bottom of the screen named Save report
  • Click Save report
  • Save the report to your desktop
  • Exit Ewido
3.) Open Cleanup! by double-clicking the icon on your desktop (or from the Start > All Programs menu).
Set the program up as follows:
Click "Options..."
Move the arrow down to "Custom CleanUp!"
Put a check next to the following (Make sure nothing else is checked!):
  • Empty Recycle Bins
  • Delete Cookies
  • Delete Prefetch files
  • Cleanup! All Users
Click OK
Press the CleanUp! button to start the program.

4.) After CleanUp is finished, Run Killbox.exe.

* Select "Delete on Reboot".

* Copy and Paste the following file (all the purple text) into the type box at the top of the Killbox window: C:\Windows\lsass.exe

* Click the red-and-white "Delete File" button. Click "Yes" at the Delete on Reboot prompt. Click "OK" at any "PendingRenameOperation" prompt. If your computer does not restart automatically, please restart it manually.

After computer has restarted continue with the rest of the instructions:

5.) Make sure your firewall is on. Make sure you can turn it off then turn it back on and that nothing is greyed out.
Also, Make sure your Anti-Virus program is working properly - you can turn on and off auto-protect, etc.

6.) Run BOTH of these online virus scans (NOT at the same time!):
ActiveScan
TrendMicro's HouseCall - check "Auto Clean"

Save the results from ActiveScan.

I need you to post the contents of rdriv.txt, the log from Ewido, the log from ActiveScan, and a new HiJackThis log into this topic.

Regards,

Trevuren

Sjak

Sjak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ok, all done. Firewall and AVG seem to be working fine. Here are the reports:

Rdrivrem:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Pre-run File Check ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

rdriv.sys PRESENT!
ItunesMusic.exe NOT PRESENT!
wkssvc.exe NOT PRESENT!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Post run File Check ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

rdriv.sys NOT PRESENT!
ItunesMusic.exe NOT PRESENT!
wkssvc.exe NOT PRESENT!

Ewido:
---------------------------------------------------------
ewido security suite - Scan rapport
---------------------------------------------------------

+ Gemaakt op: 15:23:18, 10-7-2005
+ Rapport samenvatting: B1B71CF4

+ Scan result:

C:\Documents and Settings\Eigenaar\Cookies\eigenaar@bluestreak[2].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Bluestreak : Schoongemaakt met een backup
C:\Documents and Settings\Eigenaar\Cookies\eigenaar@weborama[1].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Weborama : Schoongemaakt met een backup
C:\Documents and Settings\Eigenaar\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Realtracker : Schoongemaakt met een backup
C:\Documents and Settings\Eigenaar\Cookies\eigenaar@trafficmp[2].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Trafficmp : Schoongemaakt met een backup
C:\Documents and Settings\Eigenaar\Cookies\eigenaar@fastclick[2].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Fastclick : Schoongemaakt met een backup
C:\Documents and Settings\Eigenaar\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Smartadserver : Schoongemaakt met een backup
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{A542DD25-4454-4002-9870-85C9F1D28A46}\RP37\A0016154.sys -> Trojan.Rootkit.k : Schoongemaakt met een backup

::Einde rapport

Activescan:

Incident Status Location

Virus:W32/Sdbot.ftp Disinfected C:\WINDOWS\system32\i
Adware:Adware/TopConvert No disinfected C:\a.exe
HJT:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 17:07:42, on 10-7-2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\LVCOMSX.EXE
C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\LogiTray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\atievxx.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\FxSvr2.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZONELABS\vsmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BackWeb-8876480.exe
C:\Program Files\Nikon\NkView6\NkvMon.exe
C:\Program Files\Forgotit\FORGOTIT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.free.fr/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = localhost
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName = Koppelingen
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\spyware\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\googlenav.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DXM6Patch_981116] C:\WINDOWS\p_981116.exe /Q:A
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Error Nuker] C:\Program Files\Error Nuker\bin\ErrorNuker.exe autostart
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LVCOMSX] C:\WINDOWS\System32\LVCOMSX.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechVideoRepair] C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\ISStart.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechVideoTray] C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\LogiTray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Skype] "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /nosplash /minimized
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [LogitechSoftwareUpdate] "C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\ManifestEngine.exe" boot
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [LDM] C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BackWeb-8876480.exe
O4 - Startup: FORGOTIT.lnk = C:\Program Files\Forgotit\FORGOTIT.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: NkvMon.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\Nikon\NkView6\NkvMon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Logitech Desktop Messenger.lnk = C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\LDMConf.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\googlenav.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward &Links - res://C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\googlenav.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cac&hed Snapshot of Page - res://C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\googlenav.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Si&milar Pages - res://C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\googlenav.dll/cmsimilar.html
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdocvw.dll
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {04E214E5-63AF-4236-83C6-A7ADCBF9BD02} (HouseCall Control) - http://housecall60.t...all/xscan60.cab
O16 - DPF: {426784E5-24B2-4708-820D-117342FAD009} (Cimporter Object) - http://www.hyves.net...addressbook.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.micros...b?1120589943987
O16 - DPF: {6CB5E471-C305-11D3-99A8-000086395495} (Google Activate) - http://toolbar.googl...g/GoogleNav.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoft.../as5/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {A3009861-330C-4E10-822B-39D16EC8829D} (CRAVOnline Object) - http://www.ravantivi...n/ravonline.cab
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn...pdownloader.cab
O16 - DPF: {BFF1950D-B1B4-4AE8-B842-B2CCF06D9A1B} (Zylom Games Player) - http://game12.zylomg...gamesplayer.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: NavLogon - C:\WINDOWS\System32\NavLogon.dll
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZONELABS\vsmon.exe

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Everything lookd good at this point. If your system is working a OK we will proceed to the final but essential cleanup phase. Good Job.

Regards,

Trevuren

Sjak

Sjak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks and thank you very much as well!
Yes, my system is working fine now; all interruptions ed have disappeared. The only problem is with the microphone on my headset but I will uninstall and reinstall the programme again (it's part of logitech software that was infected). I already tried that but I think the uninstall did not delete everything; I don't think it's related to any malware on my computer right now (but if you think different please let me know).
I'm all ready to start with the final clean up!
Regards,
Sjak

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Congratulations, your log shows that your SYSTEM IS CLEAN

There are a few things you must do once you are completely clean:

1. Reset and Re-enable your System Restore to remove bad files from the backup that Windows makes as no program is able to clean those files:

TO DISABLE SYSTEM RESTORE
1. Right-click "My Computer", and then left click "Properties".
2. Left click on "System Restore Tab"
3. Check box beside "Turn Off System Restore"
4. Left click on "Apply"

TO ENABLE SYSTEM RESTORE
1.Remove check mark from "Turn Off System Restore"
2.Click on "Apply"

2. Cleanup the leftovers. Download CleanUP! - Cleans temporary files from IE and Windows, empties the recycle bin and more. Great tool to help speed up your computer and knock out those nasties that like to reside in the temp folders.

3. Finally, Re-hide your System Files and Folders to prevent any future accidents.

Here are some tips to reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future:

Make sure you keep your Windows OS current by visiting Windows update
regularly to download and install any critical updates and service packs. With out these you are leaving the backdoor open.

I strongly recommend installing the following applications:
  • Spywareblaster <= SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed.
  • Spywareguard <= SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.
  • How to use Ad-Aware to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Ad-Aware.
  • How to use Spybot to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Spybot. Similar to Ad-Aware, I strongly recommend both to catch most spyware.
To protect yourself further:
  • Spyad <= IE/Spyad places over 4000 websites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (Cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.
  • MVPS Hosts file <= The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your coputer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer
  • Google Toolbar <= Get the free google toolbar to help stop pop up windows.
And also see TonyKlein's good advice
So how did I get infected in the first place? (My Favorite)

Regards,

Trevuren

Advertisements

Sjak

Sjak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thank you very much for all your help Trevuren!
In a way I hope not, but maybe till next time!

All the best,
Sjak

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.