Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

microphone help-can barely hear, if at all

• Please log in to reply

AMP3D

AMP3D

• Pip
  • 2 posts
OK, I just got a headset in the mail today. While the headphone part is okay and sounds fine, the microphone part barely works, if at all. I've had a microphone problem with this computer ever since I got the computer in February. I have another mic, and it works perfectly fine on the other computer I have. I've checked everything I can think of. It is, of course plugged into the right hole in the back (the red one). The mic is checked under recording options in volume control and the volume is all the way up, and if I test it using windows sound recorder, while the line that detects the sound doesn't move at all, I can just barely hear a little sound from the mic. Not enough to be noticeable, at all, but at least I know it can record. I updated the sound drivers (to Realtek AC'97 audio a3.73), but that didn't help. I think it has to do with my sound card itself (it's integrated into my motherboard), but I'm not sure. Please help! By the way, this is the link to the headset, if that helps any: http://www.justerusa...ter/hs-201.html

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
first I'd try the mic on the other computer. If it works there and no mic will work on your computer I'd have to say that the mic input is probably your problem. other than that... double check everything.... the volume control in windows as well as the volume control in the software that came with the sound ( if any )

AMP3D

AMP3D

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
OK, thanks for replying. It turns out there wasn't a problem with my sound card because I tried the headset mic on my other computer and it didn't work at all on that anyway. However, the other mic i have has inexplicably started working on my computer after it not working for about 3 months, and I don't know why. Pretty bizarre, although I'd guess it has something to do with the updates I got for my sound drivers. Thanks anyway!

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
No problem. I've seen alot of those mic/headphone combos that turned out to be trash.... one or the other would work but not both....

t(^^)t

t(^^)t

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have the same problem but i didnt update my sound drive, i tried everything! my mic picks up a little sound but not enough to hear a whisper, whats wierd is the only loud sounds it picks up is if you tap the mic or blow in it. the mic is plugged into the right place and it is a working mic on other computers. What the... do i do?