Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

no sound! help!

• Please log in to reply

quokason

quokason

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hi! i've jus recently set up a new computer and i've installed everything including the drivers. but im getting no sound at all from my speakers. the motherboard has on-board sound n its also enabled in the bios. ive checked the device manager and there also seems to be no problem, ive tried my headphones but no sound from that either!!! please help!!! gettin really frustrated!! :tazz:

p.s. the volume is also high and not on mute! =P

Edited by quokason, 05 July 2005 - 04:17 PM.

Advertisements

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
are your speakers on the fritz? try using another set of computer speakers. also if you have onboard sound and a sound card, try each of them separatley, (disable the onboard the try the card and visa versa).

--Chris

Edited by cheathawk1, 05 July 2005 - 09:23 PM.

gtippery

gtippery

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Tell us what kind of motherboard it is. And what OS you're running. And any non-OS sound software you have installed.

Naturally, check that you're using the correct jack for the speakers. If you have the computer open, and the speaker jack isn't actually part of the motherboard, make sure the jack's correctly connected to the motherboard.

I assume you've tried the speakers and/or the headphones somewhere else, like on a CD player or radio.

Check the software mixer / volume control. Not muted, turned up.

What program are you using to play the music/sounds? Does it indicate that something is playing?

Assuming Windows, use Sound Recorder or a media player with a "scope" or "level" display to verify there's something there to hear. Check the Control Panel "Multimedia" settings. Check Control Panel/System/Device Manager/Sound etc. -- is there a red X or yellow question mark? Does it show the right kind of sound card? Are the correct resources assigned (DMA, IRQ, addresses)? Can you get any sounds from Control Panel/Sounds/Preview to play?

One thing to try is booting to Safe Mode, going to Device Manager, and deleting the sound drivers, especially if there appear to be any extra ones. Then reboot and reload them when prompted. This is however more likely to be helpful when a device has been replaced than on a new machine.

Does the sound work outside of Windows, like when the computer is booting, or if you boot a DOS or Rescue disk? (You'll need to have a way to make a sound, such as doing "print chr$(7)" in BASIC or the DEBUG equivalent, or some DOS game or something. I can't tell you exactly what to do until I know what OS you're running. Don't be confused by any beeps coming from inside the case -- that's not controlled by the sound card.)

If none of this sorts it out, get back with the specifics and we'll try other things.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Verify speaker is connected to speaker jack (line out) usually Grn
on PC (not mic or line in)

Usually color coded:
(Blue/Light Blue)/Outboard = Line IN (Tape Player or audio Source)
(Green/Lime)/ Middle = Line OUT (Speaker) Output to speaker
(Pinkish)/Outboard = MIC (Microphone)>>Input to PC

They are usually marked as: (IN OUT MIC) . . . .Hard to Read . . .
Verify with Motherboard Layout/connection scheme

some speakers are externally powered w/power swich & volume

also make sure jacks are fully inserted >>both PC & Speaker<<<

Jack123

quokason

quokason

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Tell us what kind of motherboard it is.  And what OS you're running.  And any non-OS sound software you have installed.

View Post

i got an msi platinum motherboard k8n sli wiv nforce 4 chipset. im running windows xp and the only sound software i installed was the one tht came wiv the motherboard - creative soundblaster live 24bit.

Naturally, check that you're using the correct jack for the speakers.  If you have the computer open, and the speaker jack isn't actually part of the motherboard, make sure the jack's correctly connected to the motherboard.

View Post

im using the correct jacks and they are correctly connected, green in green etc. the volume etc are all turned up n not muted. ive tried windows media player and other sound playing programs, and it shows the sound being played.

Assuming Windows, use Sound Recorder or a media player with a "scope" or "level" display to verify there's something there to hear.  Check the Control Panel "Multimedia" settings.  Check Control Panel/System/Device Manager/Sound etc. -- is there a red X or yellow question mark?  Does it show the right kind of sound card?  Are the correct resources assigned (DMA, IRQ, addresses)?  Can you get any sounds from Control Panel/Sounds/Preview to play?
One thing to try is booting to Safe Mode, going to Device Manager, and deleting the sound drivers, especially if there appear to be any extra ones.  Then reboot and reload them when prompted.  This is however more likely to be helpful when a device has been replaced than on a new machine.

View Post

no red X or yellow question marks are shown in device manager and the correct device. not sure about the resources assigned thing DMA, IRQ. none of the sounds in control panel play. wel they play, but i hear nothing.
ALso tried booting in safe mode and reinstalling drivers but that didnt work either.

Does the sound work outside of Windows, like when the computer is booting, or if you boot a DOS or Rescue disk? (You'll need to have a way to make a sound, such as doing "print chr$(7)" in BASIC or the DEBUG equivalent, or some DOS game or something. I can't tell you exactly what to do until I know what OS you're running. Don't be confused by any beeps coming from inside the case -- that's not controlled by the sound card.) 
If none of this sorts it out, get back with the specifics and we'll try other things.

View Post

wen i first st up the computer it did make a beep sound wen i booted it up, but now that i've installed everything from the utilities and drivers disks i don't hear it anymore. I don't have any rescue disks or anything to boot in DOS so im kinda stuck there.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Have you tried your speaker using a radio or CD ? Will speaker really work?

Also is your speaker cable good?

Are you using "Front Panel Jacks"? There are jumpers on motherboard that need to be installed

>> > > > > > > > >

I turned off my speakers & I looked in Device Manager & I am told everything is working . . . .but no sound!!!

Either your speaker is bad or connection to motherboard is NG or Audio OUTPUT is NG or Speaker Cable is NG

Try using using "Troubleshooting" in Device Manager.. . .

I know it is hard to accept the fact that the hardware is bad.

Edited by Jack123, 08 July 2005 - 07:02 PM.

gtippery

gtippery

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

i got an msi platinum motherboard k8n sli wiv nforce 4 chipset. im running windows xp and the only sound software i installed was the one tht came wiv the motherboard - creative soundblaster live 24bit.
im using the correct jacks and they are correctly connected, green in green etc. the volume etc are all turned up n not muted. ive tried windows media player and other sound playing programs, and it shows the sound being played.
no red X or yellow question marks are shown in device manager and the correct device. not sure about the resources assigned thing DMA, IRQ. none of the sounds in control panel play. wel they play, but i hear nothing.
ALso tried booting in safe mode and reinstalling drivers but that didnt work either.
wen i first st up the computer it did make a beep sound wen i booted it up, but now that i've installed everything from the utilities and drivers disks i don't hear it anymore. I don't have any rescue disks or anything to boot in DOS so im kinda stuck there.

View Post

You know, you're more likely to get people to respond with help if you give the impression that you're putting as much effort into this as you expect them to. "tht", "wiv", "n", and improper casing give the impression that you're not paying attention or don't care that the person attempting to help you has to make an extra effort to decipher what you're saying. It doesn't inspire confidence that you're being careful when you troubleshoot, either.

You can make a rescue disk from any computer with Windows and a floppy drive. Check on the "Add/Remove Programs" menu.

You haven't said yet whether you checked the speakers elsewhere. Assuming they're amplified speakers, turn them on, turn the volume about half way up, and unplug them from the computer. You should get clicks or pops from the speakers as the plug comes out. Next touch the end of the plug with a finger. Turn the volume all the way up if necessary. If you get a 60Hz "hum" from one of the speakers, when you're touching the plug, it's working at least somewhat.

If you have a microphone, or a cable that can connect to the MIC or LINE IN jacks, start up Media Player, select the appropriate input in Sound Mixer, and see if it shows sound when you talk into the mic or touch the other end of the cable (or connect it to a radio or something). If not, you probably have a problem with the connection(s) from the sound card to the jacks. If they're part of the board, you probably need to try another board. If they're attached by wires, double-check the MB manual for the correct wiring. In fact, check it anyway to see if there are any relevant jumpers that could be wrong. (I could look up the manual, but since you should already have a copy...)

Check the Control Panel / Multimedia settings. They don't get messed up often, but can cause this.

Do you recall if the beep you did get came from the speakers or perhaps from a small speaker on the motherboard? The modem, if any, might also have a speaker of its own.

If you think it's Windows that's the problem, and you can't find any settings that help, consider making a bootable troubleshooting disk, or getting a "runs entirely from CD" Linux disk. Either way, you can test it without Windows being loaded. Check this thread, starting with post #2.

Have you checked MSI and maybe Creative Labs (Sound Blaster) for any patches or newer drivers?

erickcid

erickcid

• Pip
  • 1 posts
there is a jumper block on the motherboard labelled aud1 (front panel audio) jumpers 5-6 & 9-10 must be jumpered to use the rear jacks. AUD1 is located left of PCI Slot 3. diagram page 2-2 of manual, explanation page 2-20 manual.

dagoz

dagoz

• Pip
  • 1 posts
The MSI K8N motherboard series on-board sound requires a -5V rail on your PSU. This rail is not present on some ATX2.0 PSUs and therefore your on-board sound will not work if you have a ATX2.0 PSU. I assume this is the case with your system.

See this link for more info -

http://forums.pcper....t=creative neo4

Buying a sound card may be the only solution and that is what I am going to do (rather than buy a new motherboard or an older PSU). I feel as frustrated as you do as I have just spent £100 on a shiny new case with an ATX2.0 PSU. In future I will not be buying MSI products quite simply because they are....well, not very good. :tazz: ;) :) :( :( :woot: :wub:

Edited by dagoz, 30 July 2005 - 02:18 PM.

Dviper

Dviper

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This is happening to me too. :tazz:
I tryed downloading the driver and i go nothing.
I have

Case Mid-Tower 500WT ATX Black
Motherboard Asus A8NE-FM SC939 NVIDIA nForce4 DDR400 PCI-E x16 SATA IEEE1394 LAN AUDIO mATX
CPU AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 939pin 130nm Oem
Cooling Fan Thermaltake A1744 VENUS 12 Heat Sink & Cooling Fan AMD Recommended for Athlon 64 and Opteron
Cooling Fans High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound Artic Silver 5 3.5 Gram Tube
Video Card RADEON X800 XL 512MB PCI Express
Memory PC3200 DDR400 512MB Samsung
Memory PC3200 DDR400 512MB Samsung
Hard Drive Western Digital 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB SATA WD800JD
CD ROM ASUS 52x CD-ROM INT Black
Accessories Case Fan Ball Buaring 8cm

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Dont bash the msi boards because you cant get it to work, all the new boards require the 5v rail, and MSI products are among the highest quality on the market especially for AMD as MSI have been making MOBOS for AMD as long as AMD have been making ships.
Also you shouldnt buy a ase with a PSU included unless it can be avioded as you cant check for 5v rail which the quality psus have.

Edited by warriorscot, 11 August 2005 - 12:48 PM.