Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Weird problem

• Please log in to reply

Adhesive

Adhesive

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My friend brought his Toshiba Sattellite laptop over for me to fix. The laptop works fine, running XP, except when running a web browser. I've tried both IE and Firefox. What happens is at first everything works as usual, but after surfing the web for a while (regardless of which websites are visited) the browser will lock-up. This usually happens in about a minute. I downloaded all of the critical windows updates, but I notice that .Net Framework 1.1 had to be downloaded like 2-3 times. Also, after the browser locks up, I can still run programs, but if I ask the computer to shutdown or reset it will hang for a while and then give me a program not responding message. I've seen various programs not respond, including ccapp.exe (which I removed after deleting norton) and Toshiba Pinger. Anyway, after I choose to "End Now" these programs close and winows just sits there, allowing me to run programs, etc. I choose to shut-down again and absolutely nothing will happen, the dialog box simply dissapears. Any suggestions? Ive ran virus checks and adaware and nothing comes up.

Advertisements

Adhesive

Adhesive

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Also, when the browser locks up, it cannot be closed at all, even through windows task manager.

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
You say that you "deleted" Nortons?
Did you just goto add/remove programs?
If you answered yes, you need to visit Symantec's page
http://service1.syma...=&osv=&osv_lvl=
Use the tools provided for the version of Nortons that were removed.
For the most part Norton is kinda a malware in its self, It almost never completly uninstalls by add/remove programs and almost always requires special tools from the page listed above. This may not be the complete problem but I am sure it will help some.