Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Apps get 'stuck' in processes queue after exiting

• Please log in to reply

bucky81

bucky81

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all.

About 3 weeks ago, i noticed a strange problem where when I exited a particular program (non-standard ie. not outlook or something like that), it was still on the taskbar. When clicking on the task bar button for that program, nothing happened. ALT+TAB didn't work and after I presses CTRL+ALT+DEL and went to task manager, there was no instance in the applications list. However, the executable still existed in the process queue. I would kill the process and it would be ok. Then it stopped going to the task bar but would still be in the processes. Now it has stopped completely and is working fine on my computer, no idea why.

However, it is occurring now on new Standard Operating Environments that I am rolling out. Fresh installations of XP SP2 with vendor drivers, windows updates and job specific applications installed.

And it now is not just one program, but several. The only link I can see between the programs is that they have some network interaction. All of them but one that are doing this actually are installed on the network. The other is paging software and just communicated with an IP address.

Speaking to a vendor support person one day he said it might have something to do with windows updates?

Anyone have any clues?

Edited by bucky81, 06 July 2005 - 10:47 PM.

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
as you may have heard SP2 has problems with many applications. Is this application built for XP? some older programs may have problems running on XP.

Does it use the network to access any data? probably the handle isn't releasing the process, hence the process still running at the background.
We need to have some more information regarding this application and what it does so we can determine why its still open even after the user closes it.

bucky81

bucky81

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I have solved this. We recently upgraded from ISA 2000 to ISA 2004 and hence upgraded the firewall client also. It was only after installing the new client that this problem would arise. Back to the old client and research/wait for a new version of the client I think.

Hope this helps someone with a similar problem.

Thanks.