Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 98 freezing

• Please log in to reply

svtcobra

svtcobra

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have a serious problem going on with Windows 98. The system hangs, nothing runs correctly, a lot of crazy and unusual things going on (when I download something, it needs AIM to open for example). I think I have a registry problem, not sure. I ran a virus scan using CA's EZ antivirus and it came up with several viruses which it deleted. Also ran Spysubtract which came up with not much. I want to try to save as much information as I can and do not want to format if I do not have to. Thanks so much for any help anyone can give me.
Gene
:tazz:

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
you should not have to format - read my 3 rules
Do you have your 98 cd we can do a reinstall and keep your data

svtcobra

svtcobra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hello Pete;
Thanks for the reply. Been working on this problem for a few days. I have tried to reinstall Windows 98 twice, but it hangs whenever a reboot is required. I will shut the computer down manually, but on reboot it freezes again. Same thing happened last night when I tried to reinstall Windows. I will probably have to restore to an earlier point, again. I cannot install any type of program, because once again, the system hangs when I try to do so. Furthermore, when trying to get on the internet, the software used to get on the internet freezes as well, so it has been uninstalled (this is my daughter's pc-she uses dial-up at her home, but at my home I have cable access). I am able to get on the internet after uninstalling the software, after going through several steps that are usually not necessary to connect to the net. Also, when trying to access program files through, the system hangs and I get the "not responding" error.
Thanks for any help.
Gene

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
You say you unload the internet software are you using a 3rd party browser?
How did you try to reinstall 98 you said a restore did you use scanreg?
try this method for a reinstall of windows98
Reinstall 98
But remember rule 2

svtcobra

svtcobra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I do not have a floppy drive in this computer at this time. It is an older NEC laptop with only one cd rom drive bay. I have to try to locate a floppy drive adapter before I can go on with the steps that you provided. If there is any other way to do this, please advice. Otherwise, I will try to locate a drive adapter. Thanks.
Gene

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Just to be sure, do run a defragmenter on the HD if you havent for a while.

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Just to be sure, do run a defragmenter on the HD if you havent for a while. System hangs, freezeups may be caused if you dont keep frag levels under check.

svtcobra

svtcobra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hello. I tried to defrag, but it keeps resetting itself. I tried to install a thrid party defrag program, but I cannot install the software. At this point, I have decided to format the drive and start over completely. Thanks for all of your help!
Gene