Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PCI Card Driver

• Please log in to reply

daisychick321999

daisychick321999

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
My aunt's computer somehow ended up with a missing PCI driver. When the computer is cut on it searches for the driver with no luck. She didn't get any installation disks with the computer, so I can't figure out what to do to fix it. I don't even know what kind of information about her computer you need to help me figure it out. <_< So, let me know what you need to know about it and I'll do my best to figure it out. :D

Advertisements

Yarnouth

Yarnouth

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
Maybe this will help:
http://computer.hows...rks.com/pci.htm

Could you tell me more about the alert you get. What exactly is missing here. Thanks.

daisychick321999

daisychick321999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I figured it out. The dipstick went into the msconfig and selected selective start up and didn't bother to tell me. <_< I may be back with more questions though! Thanks SO much for replying so quickly.

Yarnouth

Yarnouth

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
<_< No worries

daisychick321999

daisychick321999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Well, I'm afraid I was wrong about that fixing it. :D LOL When the computer starts up it goes through the whole finding new hardware thing and says it is going to search for the best driver for the device. It doesn't find it and I don't know where to find it either. <_< So I am back to needing your help! :D

Yarnouth

Yarnouth

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
Ok i will need some info. The driver concerned. And any more you can add.

daisychick321999

daisychick321999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
*Sob* I don't know!!! *Gathering wits* All I know is the PCI card driver cannot be found. The motherboard is a Soyo SY-7VCA-E. It has an Intel Celeron processor. Is any of that helpful? If not, you'll have to spell out exactly what you need to know. Is the PCI card part of the motherboard setup? I'm so clueless. <_<

Yarnouth

Yarnouth

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
Ok, what to do here is copy the error message. Then post that back here in this topic.
Cheers

daisychick321999

daisychick321999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Windows was unable to find a driver for this device is what is boils down to. The video card and the modem are both plugged in the PCI slots. Does that help any? The video card shows up in System Information but the modem doesn't. I'm sorry that this is the best I can do. <_<

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Sounds like you need a modem driver. Anyway to find out which kind you have?
If not we'll give a link for a generic driver download. If you have a windows disk you can get a driver from that. Once we get some sort of driver to get the computer recognizing the modem we can find out the type so we can download the correct driver. Is the Video card working properly?

-=jonnyrotten=- <_<

Advertisements

daisychick321999

daisychick321999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I installed the HSP56 modem driver (lucky for me we have the same modem and I had just downloaded the updated driver last week!) and that took care of the problem. Or at least that particular problem. <_< Now it seems that the modem needs to be replaced. Growl.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
What makes you think it needs a replacement?

-=jonnyrotten=-

daisychick321999

daisychick321999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I can't connect to the internet. <_<

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Did your Internet service provider give you a new installation disk?

-=jonnyrotten=-

If not you need to go into control panel, and find your internet connections and setup a new connedtion. You will need to know the phone number you dial to connect and the username and password.

daisychick321999

daisychick321999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Help!!! I am about two seconds away from sticking C4 into that computer and blowing it to kingdom come. (Only slightly exaggerating!) The modem keeps disappearing. I'll get it set up, get a dial tone, everything is peachy. When the computer shuts off- the modem takes off for whereabouts unknown. Turn the computer back on and have to start all over with the modem installation. What in the world can be causing this??