Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Inadequate o/s privalege for CoD

• Please log in to reply

Baren

Baren

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've read a thread about this and have pretty much done everything. I have uninstalled the game and deleted directory, I have reinstalled the PB patch, and I have tried the manual PB Update (where you put the file in pb folder and run). I still get kicked from PB servers for Inadequate O/S privaleges. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
taken from http://punksbusted.c...qid=15&catid=29 :tazz:

Why am I getting kicked for "Inadequate O/S Privileges"?

PunkBuster now requires players to run the game as an administrator under WinXP/2K. Why?

Because some cheats/hacks cannot be detected otherwise.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is there some way to modify my system configuration to be an administrator equivalent from PunkBuster's perspective?

Yes (under Win XP Pro or Win 2K). This can be accomplished by setting certain privileges for the user that will run the game.

To do this, first temporarily log in as an Administrator. Then go to Control Panel => Administrative Tools => Local Security Policy. This will open up the Local Security setting window. Expand the Local Policies folder and select, User Rights Assignment. This will bring up a list of security settings for the computer.

You will need to add the user that will be launching the game to have the following privileges.

If the user is logged in while making changes, the user must be logged out and back in for the changes to take effect.

# Debug Programs
# Load and unload device drivers
# Manage auditing and security log
# Modify Firmware environment values
# Profile Single Process

This is done by double clicking on the setting and then the "Add User or Group" button. You can either type the user or group name into the field or click on advanced to select from a list. If you select advanced, you may need to click on the "Object Types" button and make sure all 3 boxes are checked. Then click "OK". Click on the "Find Now" button to generate a full list of all users and groups on the system. Highlight the user you want to add the rights to and click

"OK". Keep clicking "OK" untill you are back at the Local Security Settings window. Repeat this process for the rest of the list. That user will now be able to play on PB servers without getting kicked for "Inadequate O/S Privileges".

For XP Home Users Additional Info:

Use this solution to make either an Administrator Account or a Limited Account have the correct rights to run correctly:

1) Logon as the Administrator

2) Download NTRights.exe self extracting archive that contains the NTRights.exe and the following batch file:

CODE
c:ntrights.exe -u Tester +r SeDebugPrivilege
c:ntrights.exe -u Tester +r SeLoadDriverPrivilege
c:ntrights.exe -u Tester +r SeSecurityPrivilege
c:ntrights.exe -u Tester +r SeSystemEnvironmentPrivilege
c:ntrights.exe -u Tester +r SeProfileSingleProcessPrivilege
pause

3. When you run the exe it will prompt you for the path to extract (default = c:NTRights

4. Right click the NTRights.cmd and select Edit, replace "Tester" with the name of your user account name that has the problem.

5. Save and run the NTRights.cmd by double clicking on it

6. Click on the game EXE, and choose "Run as...", enter your limited user and the password and check if you can play that now.

Do NOT log off in this process or log in again with that user! Just do all of the above steps in one go.

More Additional information: "Inadequate O/S Privileges" Help

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
also worth mentioning the following:
taken from evenbalance (punkbuster) own site:

I keep getting kicked by PunkBuster for "Insufficient O/S Privileges"?

Download and run this file from any location, it will check for adware that stops you from being able to play on PB servers. The VX2 adware edits your user rights when it infects your computer, and many programs do not repair this when they remove it.

http://www.greyknigh...Finder(126).exe

Click the "Find VX2.betterinternet info" button to make sure that you don't have this adware. If there are no files listed, go on to the last step. If you find the adware files, (it is usually 3 random named dll files) Select all the files found.

Press 'Delete These Files'. The program will delete all files but one that will be deleted on reboot. Allow program to reboot. Once Restarted:

* Press 'Guardian.reg'.
* Press 'User Agent'.
* Press 'Restore Policy'.

Clicking on "find vx2.BetterInternet info" again should show all fields blank.
If you have no adware files, just click on the "Restore Policy" Button

Baren

Baren

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I already run CoD from Administration login. I also have tried http://www.greyknigh...Finder(126).exe
but nothing showed up under "find vx2.BetterInternet info."

Alkiton

Alkiton

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I've done all the solutions sugested but my problem (same as Baren) still isnt solved.

At this rate i dont think ill play COD anymore :tazz:

I have win 2k and my login has admin rights so i dont really understand why this is happening.