Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem building PC with XP/2000

• Please log in to reply

eds-dad

eds-dad

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am building a PC for myself at home, and have come across a build error that I have not encountered before.
I am trying to build a P4, 1gb ram, etc etc with either xp or 2000 (I now don't care which) HDD's are new, as are the IDE cables, motherboard and RAM
I can format the HDD's as FAT, and install windows 98 with no difficulty. I can load other software on top of that and it runs fine.
As soon as I try to install 2000/xp it crashes. It is fine copying the files over, and fine immediately after that. It gets to the "please wait checking your PC's hardware", flashes black and re-boots. I get the dual boot option and it will correctly go into 98 if I ask it to, but gets stuck in a loop otherwise.
I have built loads of PC's using the same discs, and of similar spec. In fact I am co-building one of almost identical spec and it has no trouble at all.

any one have any idea what the problem might be?

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
did you try running diagnostics on your hardware? check if there is any BIOS update for your motherboard.

eds-dad

eds-dad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
yes, I have tried. There is no update for the board that I can find, and the hardware all checks out when you scan with win 98.
I am assuming that it is a hardware carsh that is causing it?

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
it looks like a hardware issue.
what devices do you have plugged and connected to your PC?
disconnect any removable media like usb keys and SCSI drives, keep it simple and sweet.

eds-dad

eds-dad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have done that. I have two CD/DVD drives, On new HDD, and a 128mb video card. Everything else is removed.
I tried starting the PC with an old win2K HDD in it, and that reported an error as well!

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
how much RAM do you have on your machine?

eds-dad

eds-dad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
1 gb as 2 x 512, both new, andboth check out via the on screen boot message.
I am wondering whether it might help removing one of them and the 128mb video card incase they are being over loaded during the hardware test phase?

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
you RAM looks fine to me, I am not sure about your graphics card though. Its worth trying.