Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing Win 98se from scratch

• Please log in to reply

antztudio

antztudio

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi to all,new here.I have just ordered a custom built p.c without an o.s installed as i want to do this myself.The actual o.s install is no problem as i have reformatted my xp rig loads of times.My main question is,,,, Will win98 'see' my two 40gb h/d's?I do recall hearing somewhere that win98 sometimes has problems 'seeing' h/d's over 20gb.Also does Win98 support ntfs or is it fat32 period,Best ,Antz :tazz:

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
win 98 will see both your hard drive.
win 98 will use fat 32 not ntfs and will not see ntfs drives
and to install check this link
Fresh install of 98

Edited by peterm, 06 July 2005 - 02:52 AM.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
windows 98 will see your drives just fine as long as the COMPUTER does. The limit you are thinking of is the 32 GB limit some COMPUTERS has. Windows 98 can see something like 127GB hard drives..... Although the fdisk command didnt' correctly count beyong 64gb. there was an updated fdisk that would work but not sure if it's still available.