Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

left click opens search results

• Please log in to reply

alfienoakes

alfienoakes

• Pip
  • 9 posts
hi there everyone.
i just installed xp pro.. not sure if that has anything to do with my problem but anyway - for some reason my left mouse button now opens a search results box instead of opening the folder i click on. so for instance i can open 'my documents' with it, but when i go to open a sub-folder up comes a search results window.
i've tried all the mouse options and i've looked everywhere i know about.
if i right click on the folder icon i get the drop down but at the the top it says search, ie prioritised before open, explore etc.
can anyone help?
thanks.

Advertisements

TogTogTogTog

TogTogTogTog

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
Whta mouse are you using
and to me it sounds like the key's have been muddled, this usually happens with keyboards though...

You could also running some spyware programs
See below

alfienoakes

alfienoakes

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
i don't think i've got any spyware.
i'm using a straight forward wheel mouse, a belkin, corded.
i'm also confused.

TogTogTogTog

TogTogTogTog

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
Well sometimes keyboards get their keys muddled, eg. when pressing Enter/Return the computer thinks you pressed Esc
I don't know if this is possible with a mouse and i don't think this is the problem.

I usually just toss out as many possible reasons/ideas i can think of and work backwards eliminating them one at a time to find the problem. :tazz:

What Spyware and Antivirus programs are you using too by the way

alfienoakes

alfienoakes

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
i'm using giant, adaware, avg, cw shredder.

i've tried googling it but i can't find anything, which might be cos i'm not wording it right.. how the [bleep] do you word the search terms for this one?

help. please.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
right click on a folder ....could you tell me what the BOLD entry is??

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
This is a registry problem and VERY easy to fix. Your Directory tree in the registry is just confused.

If you have never worked in the registry before, be warned that you can mess up your machine if you screw up. If you feel uncomfortable working in the registry, get someone else more experienced to do this for you.

Follow these steps EXACTLY

Go to Start\Run... type in "Regedit" (no quotes)

When the Registry Editor window opens, navigate to

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory

Right click on the Directory folder and choose "Export" from the dropdown menu. You will be asked where to save the exported registry file, so just choose your desktop as the destination and name the file Directory or whatever you want. This is a backup just in case you mess something up.

Continuing on...

Expand the Directory key by clicking on the plus sign (+) next to it.

When the key expands, you will see a folder called "shell"

Left click on the shell folder so it's highlighted.

On the right side of the Registry Editor window, you will see a registry string named "Default"

Right click on the AB icon and choose modify.

Type in the word "None" or "Explorer" (no quotes)

Exit the Registry Editor.

Now check to see if you folders open as they should. If all is well, delete the saved registry file on your desktop.

Any questions or concerns before doing the above, please post back.

good luck,
makai

Edited by makai, 06 July 2005 - 11:35 AM.