Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

00x0000007b error (hd, mobo related?)

• Please log in to reply

Fredro

Fredro

• Pip
  • 6 posts
whats up everyone..

i recently tried to do a xp repair on my bro's comp. after the repair the system wont boot anymore. i get the blue screen with the 00x0000007b error. ive done some research and a lot of things said this might have to do with SATA drivers, and needing to create a driver floppy disc. to do that i need to identify the motherboard, which im having some trouble with too.

Compaq Presario 6027US
Win XP

if someone could offer some advice i really need it. my bro is a kinda mad at me right now. :tazz:

Edited by Fredro, 06 July 2005 - 05:36 AM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there, welcome to G2G

This is actually a known problem with certain compaqs & XP. 0x0000007B is inaccessible boot device, as you probably know. The first thing to try is - boot from the XP CD & type R to select recovery console when prompted. From there, run chkdsk over the drive.

The problem could be the sata drivers as you suggested, but there doesn't seem to be an sata driver download for this model on compaqs website. Are you sure it is using SATA instead of IDE?

Fredro

Fredro

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thanks 4 the welcome...

Im honestly not sure if they are running SATA or IDE. but the error message does say to run chkdsk. i'll try that.

the whole message i get is:

"A problem has been detected and windows has shutdown.

Check for Viruses on your comp. Remove any newly installed HDs or HD Controllers. Run chkdsk/F to check for HD corruption and then restart"

Technical Info: 0x0000007b (0xf8958640, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Fredro

Fredro

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
did i do this right?

booted from xp cd, went into recovery console.
it asked me which drive to select, i chose "C" (only hd on system)
typed in the command "chkdsk", this is what it said:

"the volume appears to be in good condition & was not checked. Use /p if you want to check the volume anyway.

78147688 kilobytes total disk space
240090752 kilobytes available

4096 bytes in each allocation unit
19536922 total allocation units on disk
602268 allocation units available on disk"

what is /p to check the volume anyway?

Fredro

Fredro

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i ran chkdsk and it said there were errors, i told it to repair/recover the disk and it took a while to go through the whole thing. afterwards i still get the same blue screen error when i startup.

Fredro

Fredro

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
one thing im really concerned about is some documents on the drive. would it be possible to put these on a floppy using the "copy" recovery console commmand?

Fredro

Fredro

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i just gave up and did a reinstall..oh well

thanks