Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to ignore certain events in event viewer

• Please log in to reply

jcallis

jcallis

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
On windows server 2000 how can you tell the event viewer to ignore and not log certain event id's?

Edited by jcallis, 06 July 2005 - 05:13 AM.

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Wait to see if, u get other replies, otherwise I can give u a method to stop logging events according to the source not event-id.
Also can u mention the event source for which U want to stop logging events; I will check to see if that source has multiple event-ids or not. If it is the latter case(i.e. the source has only one event id) we can safetly stop logging according to source.

Edited by darth_ash, 06 July 2005 - 08:35 AM.

jcallis

jcallis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
That would likely do it. Let me know when you can.

Thanks

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
1) Open regedit.

Note: For the other steps, I have used the some variables, they are defined below:
xxxx: Type of log; i.e. either Application, Security or System
yyyy: The name of the source that generated the event as seen seen in "Event Viewer". e.g.: Userenv, MsiInstaller,

2) Go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\xxxx"
Double-click on the Sources value, to open the edit dialog. Remove the Source name from the list (i.e. yyyy).

3) Again in,"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\xxxx" Delete the yyyy key(sub-folder).

P.S: If u find it difficult to understand i will give u an example.

jcallis

jcallis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Done. Now to see how it goes. Thanks.