Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Duplicate OS and Progs

• Please log in to reply

richardca

richardca

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
:tazz:

Nutshell: Windows2K crashes and refuses to repair or re-install: using original disk caused a message explaining this was a downgrade not supported!

Installed XP and promptly discovered smitfraud.c. Using threads on this site finally cleared the problem. Loads of niggles but it IS working! Biggest problem is lack of disk space because some programmes are duplicated: I see the titles in Windows Explorer but they aren't on the "Programs" index in XP. So I re-installed Office 2K and others.

Can't work out which are the old (to erase) and which are the new. A list of duplicates won't tell me which to erase.

Any ideas on how to tidy my best friend!

Thanks folks

Advertisements

TogTogTogTog

TogTogTogTog

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
Try WinASO

Right HERE

It should fix your problems :tazz:

Have a nice day

richardca

richardca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks Toq.................

Winaso took a while but the system is now working faster. But when I check on duplicate files, the list is colossal. It seems that I have the self same files in both C:\windows and c:\winnt.....: As I'm now using XP instead of 2K, should I erase one of these folders and if so, which?

Many thanks

:tazz:

Richardca

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
when you start your PC, are you still given a choice between Operating Systems?

richardca

richardca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Sorry for the delay gerryf.

No, rid myself of 2K now but I get a bad pool caller message when returning from standby. And the hard disk is almost full.

Many thanks for your help

richardca

richardca

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I'm back with the old problem! Disk is almost full and when I run Easycleaner I've a massive list of duplicate files vis:

Bytes: 299.606.830 Files:2,496 Groups:1,104

They seem to be in both c:\WINDOWS and C\WINNT and my main programmes are in both C:\programs and c:\programs\programs from the start box. I'm using XP pro - is this windows or winnt?

Thanks