Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connecting PC to TV

• Please log in to reply

Adrian04

Adrian04

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
I have a Geforce fx 5200 and want to connect my PC to TV to watch movies. What cables will I need? Thanks

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what do the ports on the back look like.. do you have standard av ports like on the back of a tv or is there one little round one that sort of looks like a mouse port but bigger? it's probably svideo

Adrian04

Adrian04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
On my graphics card is a small round black port similiar to my mouse port while on the back of my TV there is a yellow hole labelled S-video and two audio ports (one red and one white)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...that port on the back of your computer is an svideo port. if all you have on the back of your tv are the red white and yellow RCA ports then you can get an Svideo to RCA converter for pretty cheap.

Adrian04

Adrian04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Is that all I need or do i need a separate line for audio?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you will probably need a seperate audio cable

Adrian04

Adrian04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
What kind of cable would I need for the audio and what would I connect it to on the TV and PC?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
there a simple cables that have an earphone jack on one end and two rca jacks on the other end (usually red and white) you would hook the earphone jack to the obvious place on your laptop and the rca's to the matching colored ports on the tv

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You dont need an audio you just use what you are using now for sound, your mobo or sound card will have a coax out for audio probably you just need the appropriate cable. Easiest way is svideo to SCART and plug it in easiest way to do it by far.

Adrian04

Adrian04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Bump. everything works fine now, just wondering does that mean I can watch TV on my PC now and ultimately record onto my hard disk?

Cheers, Adrian :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
no...you'd have to get a tuner card to go from tv to machine....the way you have it now is machine to tv

Adrian04

Adrian04

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Can someone tell me what is the official, technical name for the audio wires? Also I live in Sydney, Australia and I'm looking for the audio wires of at least 10m in length, anyone know any stores or reputable internet sites?