Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive question-

• Please log in to reply

Rome09

Rome09

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi there, so im switching from my 40gb hard drive to a new 160 gb harddrive, both are internal, is there any way that I could transfer all my stuff from my 40g harddrive(its pretty much full to the rim) to the new 160gb harddrive? If so, how do i go about doing this? Thanks!

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
yes there are ways but it depends on your skill and what resources you have available and what windows you are running. Also if it is an older os it may not support a 160 gb hard drive. IF I remember correctly you need windows xp sp1 or later..... not sure about windows 2000

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah windows before windows xp sp1 couldnt detect more than 130GB, you will need to get XP, you might be able to partition the drive to get the full space though.
Oh and have you made sure you have a compatible hard drive for your computer.

Edited by warriorscot, 06 July 2005 - 11:59 AM.

Rome09

Rome09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Hi there, so im switching from my 40gb hard drive to a new 160 gb harddrive, both are internal, is there any way that I could transfer all my stuff from my 40g harddrive(its pretty much full to the rim) to the new 160gb harddrive? If so, how do i go about doing this? Thanks!

View Post

oops, sorry about that, I just recently upgraded to windows XP SE(note that I just did the upgrade, I dont know if that would hamper my ability to transfer the files)

Rome09

Rome09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
So how would i go about doing this?(putting in a new harddrive while keeping all my old files)

Rome09

Rome09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

View Post

oops, sorry about that, I just recently upgraded to windows XP SE(note that I just did the upgrade, I dont know if that would hamper my ability to transfer the files)

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
if you are looking to have your pc exacly as it is now just a larger capacity hdd then there are vareous programs you can use to clone the current hdd. i personally use symantec ghost but this is pretty expensive and im pretty sure you dont want to falk out for it not sure exacly what free software is available for the job but the link below looks pretty promising good luck :tazz: .

http://www.softpedia...ion-Logic.shtml

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Or just keep it in the PC there isnt a reason to chuck it unless you dont have enough space. If you are going to chuck it you can just hook it up temporarily and transfer the data across or put it in another pc and lan it across. I prefer these methods as you dont get stuck with the useless crap you can accumulate if you have had a pc a while.

mdl3r1

mdl3r1

• Pip
  • 7 posts

So how would i go about doing this?(putting in a new harddrive while keeping all my old files)

View Post

Hey Rome,
If I was you, assuming you only have the one 40GB drive, put in the new one and instal Win XP afresh on your new HD, and install your current drive as a slave.
Then, after installing and activating Win XP on the new HD, just transfer your old files to the new drive. or even leave the files where they are, just access them in the old, now slave drive.
Until you decide to enlarge the slave drive too by replacing it with a bigger one LOL

That is the basic idea...if you have questions on what I just said, you might need to read up a bit on the basics...I'm barely "intermediate myself" :-)
Cheers :tazz:

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
well if you want a direct clone then do it in the fasion i earlier suggested but i do prefere a reinstall and it also depends what pc you have as some can be very problematic to install using standard disks and not recovery disks (if you brought your pc from a big company or something) there are vareous ways of backing up i assume u keep all you important documents music ect in "my documents", so start buy backing that up external hdd are always handy but the best option for you may be to put the new one in install windows and just drag files across from the old hdd to the new one. its upto you entirely.

Advertisements

Rome09

Rome09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
OK one last question-
do i need to have the windows xp cd in order to access windows on my new harddrive? what will it be like when i put it in? I have no idea what to expect.
Could i just transfer everything from my old 40g hard drive to my 160gb harddrive? making it seem as if all i did was upgrade the harddrive to 160gb and not need windows xp at all?

Rome09

Rome09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
can anyone help me with my last question?(see previous post)

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
well the answer to the first half of your question, yes you'd have to have the cd to put windows on the new hard drive, unless you do the second part of your question. You can transfer everything from the old drive to the new but you need software and actually that part of your question was answered above. check out the posts by theone.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You cant transfer a windows instalation across as it would lack drivers, its not a good idea a fresh install on the new drive is the safest and easiest way to do it.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

You cant transfer a windows instalation across as it would lack drivers, its not a good idea a fresh install on the new drive is the safest and easiest way to do it.

View Post

that shouldn't be a problem as long as the only thing changed is the hard drive. though again we go back to the problem with large drive..... you will have problems if you transfer and your os can't utilize a drive of that size.