Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive question-

• Please log in to reply

Rome09

Rome09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

that shouldn't be a problem as long as the only thing changed is the hard drive.  though again we go back to the problem with large drive.....  you will have problems if you transfer and your os can't utilize a drive of that size.

View Post

well I'm using windows XP SP2, that would be fine right?

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
yep should be.

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
providing his mobo is physically capable of handling the new hdd then xp can yes i know the sp issues but not hard to upgrade from sp-sp1 or even sp2 is it which will support it so do a dirct clone using the link i preveously posted and then upgrade ur windows xp sp1 or 2 if neccacery, id reccomend 2 anyways cheers. :tazz:

Rome09

Rome09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
OK guys- new problem.
I successfully put in my new 160gb hard drive and made it a slave drive. However, when I click my computer, I cannot see it, I can only see my main 40gb hard drive. I followed a friends instructions- going to start-> rick clicking my computer and hitting manage. Then I went to "disk managment" under the Storage tab, and added "Disk 1"(i think thats my new hard drive" to my disk drives (I have 3 now, the 40gb hard drive, this 160gb one, any my optical drive). However, there is a black line above it(the 40gb one has a blue line above it) and it says "unallocated." Additionally, I still cannot see the drive when i got to My Computer. can anyone help me with this? Thank you! Note that I'm using Windows XP SP2

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If yours is an older computer you will need to install drive overlay software on the new drive before making a new installation of windows. If you got the new drive in a box with an installation software disk, install the software in the old hard drive, use it to partition and format the new drive and it will include the option of installing overlay software, the most common version being Kroll Ontrack. Then make the new drive the master, remove the old one from the system, at least disconnect it, put your cdrom in and do the fresh installation. You can then make it your slave and transfer any files you want from the old system, and run a virus scan on the new drive to make sure it's clean.