Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2 ROUTERS ONE NETWORK HELP PLEASE!

• Please log in to reply

jftm

jftm

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all!!

Im newbie in this!

My original network was like this:

One netgear wireless router connected to a dsl modem.
then a 3com 8 port switch connnected to one lan ports of router.
then all computers connected to the switch or router LAN ports. working nice.

I recieved a free linksys wireless router and it was perfect because i needed more ports and wireless coverage in other rooms. ...

heres my question:

how can i configure the new router to act just like an AP or wireless switch or something like that??. i want the Netgear router to stay as it is and then connect the Linksys to it, and i still need the switch for the ports. I want all computers to share files, printers and internet.

where the switch shoud be?? between the 2 routers, after the 2nd, at same level?? do i have to disable 2nd routers DCHP?? how i will configure the internet connection in the Linksys router?? Subnet mask, private ip adresses in Linksys??

PLEASE HELP!!! im loosing time and money each day beacause i cannot configure this!!

Advertisements

chrisatpsu

chrisatpsu

• Pip
  • 2 posts
ok, first of all, you want to log into the linksys router, and turn off DHCP, that will cause a problem, if you have DHCP turned on in both routers.

next, do not plug anything into the WAN or INTERNET port on the Linksys router...

you'll want to plug in the cable coming from either the switch, or the Dlink router into one of the numbered ports on the linksys router, like #1 for example, you might need to use a crossover cable. The easiest way to tell would be to plug in a normal ethernet cable from the switch or dlink router into the #1 port on the linksys router, and see if the light on the front of the linksys router turns on (the #1 port) is so, you don't need a crossover cable. go back into the settings of the linksys router, and setup your wireless connection, SSID, WEP etc...

-Chris