Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM won't go in.

• Please log in to reply

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
fit check - install the cables at the store to make sure you get the right one(s).

take the CD, HDD, and floppy plus the cables you have to the store.

make sense?

Advertisements

Metalive

Metalive

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Ok, thanks. I'll let you know what happens.

Metalive

Metalive

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Ok, I went to CompUSA, they couldn't find out why the cables wouldn't connect. So I got ripped off and bought two new ones for $40.00 and they work!

Now, I ordered a CDrom OEM and I don't think I have the cable that connects it to the motherboard, (not the IDE or the power, I think there is a 3rd right?) Anyway, I just have to find that one cable and I'm finished.

I had a bit of trouble installing my Geforce 6800, it didn't meet with the IO bracket opening very well, so I found a longer screw on an extra USB thing I'm not going to install, and was able to secure it, even though it doesn't meet flush with the case.

I am however having a hard time locating the power connector on the 6800. Does it just draw power from the mobo?

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Now, I ordered a CDrom OEM and I don't think I have the cable that connects it to the motherboard, (not the IDE or the power, I think there is a 3rd right?) Anyway, I just have to find that one cable and I'm finished.

If your reffering to the audio connector for playing CD's it is not needed for the cd-rom to work

I am however having a hard time locating the power connector on the 6800. Does it just draw power from the mobo?

If its a standard 6800 (not a Ultra or GT) it doesnt have one.Atleast none that I have seen anyway.

Metalive

Metalive

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Yes it's a standard 6800.

I'm glad I don't need it for using the rom. The closest comp store is 40 miles and I just got back from it...

Ok, I'm having a bit of trouble connecting the LED's, it's really difficult to tell where they go...

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
The manual should have a picture of where they all go?

Metalive

Metalive

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
I figured it out I think, but I have ANOTHER problem..

I connected the 4 pin power connector to the motherboard, but I can't find where the 20 pin attaches, I can only find a 24 pin, and I don't think my PSU has a 24 pin cable... do I just buy a 20 to 24 pin adapter?

Edited by Metalive, 07 July 2005 - 03:52 PM.

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
You can plug the 20 pin into the 24 connector.

IM NOT TELLING YOU TO DO IT!!! :tazz: but it can work

just get this and be safe about it http://www.directron...to24pin6in.html

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I have stacks of cables left over from my build, Hiper psus are great the tupperware box you get is great for keeping everything safe. Yeaj just get an adapter dont do anyhting daft. You might have a little clip that attaches to the side turning it into a 24 pin cable.

Metalive

Metalive

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
I called a computer tech friend of mine, he didn't reccommend using an adapter, but rather replacing the PSU, with a 24 pin.

I was unsure if a 400w PSU would be big enough for my system,

AMD 64 3500+
1024mb pc3200
Geforce 6800

I was thinking about buying a PSU when I got a second card to run SLI, but that wouldn't be for a couple months. Should I replace the PSU? Or will the adapter work fine?

Edited by Metalive, 07 July 2005 - 06:55 PM.

Advertisements

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
Im not tring to say hes wrong but ....

All a 24 pin mobo connector is....

Ok follow me here...you connected a 4 pin connector to the motherboard from your power supply and the other molex in a 20 pin to the main on the motherboard...put 2 and 2 together

All a 24 pin is...no seperate 4 pin connector its all in one connection to the mobo....hope that makes sense ;)

I dont think you need a new PSU either :tazz:

Metalive

Metalive

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Not really... So do I take that 12v 4 pin plug out and stick it in the 24 pin along with the 20 pin?

Is this going to make my computer explode? Heh?

nathen555

nathen555

Geek In Training

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
lol if your pc is DDR and your getting SDRAM think again sunny jim

nathen555

nathen555

Geek In Training

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
oh and how many pins has it got

Metalive

Metalive

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
The problem has been solved. I just needed to push a little harder.