Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Prevention

• Please log in to reply

Snwbrdr

Snwbrdr

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
What firewall do you guys recommend? Also, whats your position on microsoft antispyware beta???

Advertisements

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Zone Alarm firewall. I don't think Microsoft antispyware is a good idea just because it's still a beta. I would recommend Ad-aware or spysweeper.

Emery

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
The free ZoneAlarm gets my vote. Currently the best anti-spyware is Counter Spy. Some people have had trouble with the MS product, others say it's great.....

Snwbrdr

Snwbrdr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Is the windows firewall any good???It seems to be quite lacking.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
XP's firewall will not tell you if anything is trying to get out of your pc. Also there is a malware program out there that will shut down xp's firewall.....

Snwbrdr

Snwbrdr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Is it bad to be running to anti-virus or two anti-spyware programs simultaneously.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

XP's firewall will not tell you if anything is trying to get out of your pc.  Also there is a malware program out there that will shut down xp's firewall.....

View Post

This is a common misconception....or rather, it is a common misconception about firewalls OTHER than the built in firewall.

MOST malware programs that are trying to call out slip easily by ANY software firewall because the masquerade as internet explorer. Because IE is so deeply integrated into windows, and because you train your firewall to trust IE, almost everything gets out.

That is not a reason to NOT get a firewall, it just should be noted that firewalls that suggest they monitor both inbound and outbound traffic can give you a false sense of security.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

Is it bad to be running to anti-virus or two anti-spyware programs simultaneously.

View Post

running two antivirus programs at the same time CAN cause issues (but does not always).

If you want to use two AV programs, use one to monitor in realtime and the other just for scanning.

Snwbrdr

Snwbrdr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
How do i keep AVG from starting on system startup and monitoring real-time. I can't seem to find an option for that. It stays open a running process for the system even when i closeit,i think. The process is called avgamsvr.exe.

Edited by Snwbrdr, 06 July 2005 - 08:19 PM.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Well you can always goto start>run>(type msconfig and hit enter) . select the startup tab and uncheck any AVG boxes. This will prevent it from starting....

Advertisements

Snwbrdr

Snwbrdr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
What spyware program will run realtime. Spybot and ad-aware doesn't seem to.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
spybot does, but not by default---you need to add the function under advanced settinngs

Adaware only does it with adaware pro

Snwbrdr

Snwbrdr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Is Viewmgr.exe spyware. It comes bundled with AIM. I read somewhere that it is spyware, it is not picked up by any scans though. Also if or when i delete it will i need to delete the .pf file associated with it?

Snwbrdr

Snwbrdr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Bump^^

Word4Word

Word4Word

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Does anyone know if running two firewalls simulteneously is any better than just running a single firewall? Is anyone doing this? and if so, what combination would you recommend?