Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer Locks up

• Please log in to reply

Lesorcan

Lesorcan

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello all,

First time user here so please excuse any user protocols that are violated. I'm running Windows XP Professional. When I'm on the Internet at a particular site, eg Shell.com, if the link is to take me to another site away from the Shell websitethe computer locks up. This is not good because I pay bills on line and the Shell website links me to their bank, but I can't get there because of the above problem. Any past experience with this problem and any fixes? Some have said I have a problem with blocked cookies or pop-ups. Then if this is so how do I unblock them? Thanks for any help.

Regards, Les

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Have you been able to navigate these links before on the same computer?

Did this (problem) just start recenly? Give some background of lockups . . .

Do you experience any lockups during other applications?
If so give some details of - how often which applications

Do you have any firewall installed on computer? Anti virus & spyware?
When did you last performed a virus scan?

Do you have any internet cleanup utilities to clean computer of internet junk?

Trying to establish a starting point?

Try browsing this forum for Posts similisr to yours & see if anything relates to your problem . . .if you find 1 >>>do not add confusion by adding your post . . .but keep returning for more clues

It could be a virus . . . . Internet setup . . . . hardware . . . .conflicts
or combination . . . .(need to establish a starting point)

Keep in touch
Jack123

Lesorcan

Lesorcan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Jack123,

I appreciate the fast response. I'll answer your questions in order.
Have you been able to navigate these links before on the same computer? Yes

Did this (problem) just start recenly? Give some background of lockups . . .The problem started about a month ago.

Do you experience any lockups during other applications? Occasionally I get a message that (for instance) "Windows is not responding". I usually have to use Task Manager to shut the problem down. When I restart the same application it seems to run fine but it still may hang up. Sort of like a car not doing the problem you're at the service station for.
If so give some details of - how often which applications The problem occurs frequently though not all the time - intermittently. Other applications are Internet Explorer and Control Panel. Also computer takes a long time to load some applications.

Do you have any firewall installed on computer? Anti virus & spyware? Firewall-No. Anti-virus-Norton (current), Spyware-No, I am disappointed in their operation.
When did you last performed a virus scan? Usually weekly, recently daily and the virus updates. I often do a clean-up using "Tools" in Internet Explorer and using System Tools-Disk Clean-up.

Do you have any internet cleanup utilities to clean computer of internet junk? No

Trying to establish a starting point? Is this the same as a restore point? If so the System Restore is operable.

Recently another problem has shown up. I'vs got a virus: Download.Fugit (Fuqit?) The Norton virus scan willnot remove or quarantine it. I went to Symantic's site and tried to follow the way to remove the virus. I be glad to discuss that at a later time, unless it is related to this problem, however the virus has shown up after the above problem had started.

Jack123, I hope my answers have been clear to give you some help in resolving my problem.

Regards, Les

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Having only an anti virus is NOT WISE. . . It does very little in prevention. . .only prevention is scanning your E-mail & gives you an alert that it may can contain a suspicious code . . . but you can still open it.

And if it doesn't have any spyware . . .you have no spyware detection

A good firewall will keep hackers out + keep your data from being sent by some imported virus . . . .it actually is a defense . . .where the
Antivirus is too late

You need to get your computer clean before I can help you . . .Post in the malware & get Staff to help you. . . .

By establishing a starting point . . . .this is it . . .you must take care of that first . . .even if it is after the fact . . . .it can only get worse

but get a Firewall before you travel the internet

You can Google: "Shields UP" find their website to test your computer on line . . . check all ports. . . .it will show how vulnerable you are.

Get staff to help you clean up the infection

Jack123