Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory leak, pls help

• Please log in to reply

tigersvain

tigersvain

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hi everyone, i think i have a problem, lol i'm a noob when it comes to this stuff but i'm tryin to learn, anyways, i have 2 128mb sdram sticks in my computer but its only showing i have 248mb total, and that 40mb of it is free :tazz: is this right or is something going terribly wrong, i'm tryin to play guild wars but its laggin just enuff to be annoying, figure its my ram kickin my butt, lol any help would be appreicated thanx

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I'd say you need at least another 256M of RAM. Buy quality like Kingston or Crucial....Memory leaks are a result of programs not releasing all of their memory when you close them. That's one reason why I shut my pc down every night....

Edited by macten, 06 July 2005 - 04:03 PM.

tigersvain

tigersvain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
yeah, i was thinking of buyin another stick, but i was just wonderin if thats right that my computer would suck out so much of my memory like that

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts

Memory leaks are a result of programs not releasing all of their memory when you close them. That's one reason why I shut my pc down every night....

That is not necessary in XP.

Two 128Mb sticks of memory are the minimum required for XP, and, IMO, not enough. XP likes memory. Check your motherboard to see what it supports, and if you can, opt for a single 512 or two 256 sticks for better performance.

Johanna

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
fwiw,

I suspect you have a built in videocard and it uses shared memory, which accounts for the lost 8mb of memory.

As for memory free, yes, that is normal. Windows will easily use 100+ memory with a few programs running.

tigersvain

tigersvain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
i installed an ati radeon 9250 128mb pci(no agp slot) vid card , anyway i can get that 8 mb back from the onboard vid card?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
depends....some motherboards allow it, some do not

Sometimes it is in BIOS, sometimes it is a jumper on the motherboard, sometimes it is not possible.

what kind of motherboard?

tigersvain

tigersvain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
gigabyte ga-6vmm(-p)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
nothing in the manual, nor can I see any undocumented jumpers on the schematic in the manual...given its age, I would say it is not a feature that can be disabled.

tigersvain

tigersvain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
*crys and kicks computer in the nuts*

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
CZ....are you saying that memory leaks don't occur in xp?

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Define "memory leak". You do not have to reboot a modern system running XP to free up memory.
Johanna

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Here's what I know....after recieving a couple of dozen calls for things like: 'such and such program doesn't work and I tell em to reboot and I have to stay on the line and then it works' . I finally got smart and tell em all to shut down at night. I get fewer calls now.

I used to work in a bank server room. Our xp workstations were usually rebooted every 8 hours. I can't say for sure wether they were memory leaks or what but they sure ran faster and better after a reboot.