Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows ME problem

• Please log in to reply

basketball346

basketball346

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hey all, thanx for all the help on this site. Now my GF has a dell computer with Windows ME as an OS. She recently got a TROJAN-SPY.HTML.SMITFRAUD.c virus and the machine keeps freezing, in normal and safe mode. I tried to install HJT and run killbox but the machine just will not boot correctly, it sits and will not allow you to click on any icons. I would like to reformat windows ME but i've never done it, could someone walk me through making a boot disk? I do have the OS cd but i hear that i need a bootdisk ne how. The problem is the computer is too unstable to even make a bootdisk. Ne help would be appreciated

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
With a dell you should have a recovery cd. also is the ME disk you have the one that came with the computer. Dell computers have their own version of windows.
If you really want a boot disk then go here.
Bootdisk
But be wary and see if you have the recovery disc 1st.

basketball346

basketball346

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
yes i have all the disks that come with the Dell computer and there is a recovery cd, the only thing is everytime i google it to find how to reformat it keeps saying i need a bootdisk or floppy. But if ur sure i only need the recovery cd then thats great, thank you for your help

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Please try the recovery disk 1st it should boot if not come back to us