Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DDR2 vs. DDR

• Please log in to reply

oldmantaggie

oldmantaggie

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
hopefully this is my last post...

I have an intel 915gav mobo with value ram (DDR 400)

I am going to buy a new mobo (if neccesary) and ram, have a LGA 775 P4

It seems to me that people say DDR2 is faster than DDR, though newegg.com says that the timings and latency are higher for DDR2.

Question 1: Is DDR2 faster, even with the higher timings and latency

Question 2: Is it worth it to buy a new mobo to upgrade to DDR2 (probably DDR2 667) from my current DDR (DDR400)

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It is a hot topic really while faster it has the inherantly slower timings that come with that extra speed. DDR2 also has the automatic disadvantage that intel like it, i dont know much about ram as it can be really really complicated and while i made the attampt to learn the intricasies of it i couldnt do it.

I dont think its worth a new mobo as in a couple of years DDR3 will probably make the jump into system RAM and that really is good proper static ram fast with low timings what more could you want.

DDR 400 is still really good so i would just go with it.