Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cookie and image problems

• Please log in to reply

heintwhistle

heintwhistle

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I can't get on many sites with Mozilla Firefox or Explorer 6. They tell me that I am not allowing cookies. I have followed instructions to the letter. I have reset security options until I'm blue in the face. I have eliminated all unnecessary programs. I need to get online to re-register my car, but if I do it on Mozilla it will "unexpectantly terminate" - I actually do expect that now. If I do it with Explorer it tells me to allow cookies. I already do of course. I am about to shoot my computer. Also, I can't see the images from many sites, no matter what I try. If I right-click where the image shoul be and select "view image" it will usually show it. I've redownloaded Mozilla. Here's my Hijack This! log

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 7:10:08 PM, on 7/6/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Webshots\webshots.scr
C:\WINDOWS\System32\cisvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\tcpsvcs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\UPHClean\uphclean.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\cidaemon.exe
C:\Program Files\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [RegisterDropHandler] C:\PROGRA~1\TEXTBR~1.0\Bin\REGIST~1.EXE
O4 - Startup: Webshots.lnk = C:\Program Files\Webshots\Launcher.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.exe
O23 - Service: InCD Helper (InCDsrv) - Ahead Software AG - C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
O23 - Service: kavsvc - Kaspersky Lab - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal\kavsvc.exe

Respectfully,
Heintwhistle

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you don't have sp2 -- any reason?

If you disable Kaspersky, does it change anything

heintwhistle

heintwhistle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I'm haven't disabled Kaspersky's virus protection. The reason I don't have SP2 is that I had trouble with it. It would take years to shut down. I just got tired of waiting. I will disable Kaspersky and try it, then I will download SP2 if that doesn't work. I really would hate to give up Kaspersky since I paid for it and like it better than Norton or MacAfee.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I'm not saying get rid of it--I just want to see.

Nothing you have installed ought to be causing this problem. The sp2 question is a different angle....did this problem occur before you had sp2? After Sp2, but before SP2 was removed?

Right click an image, and choose PROPERTIES, what is the url?

heintwhistle

heintwhistle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
The computer is downloading most images correctly, it's just some sites that it won't show any. I can't find one now that I'm trying. I just downloaded and installed SP2. It didn't solve the problem with the car registration which is my immediate need. If I can't get it, I'll have to go down to AAA and pay them lots of money for doing what I can do free with a working computer. Can someone else try this website and tell me what it does? I used it a few weeks ago for my other car and it was fine.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/

Go to the first box on the upper left and choose vehicle registration. Mine immediately terminates (all popup blockers are off).
If I use Explorer it tells me cookies are improperly set. It doesn't matter how I set my cookies/security options, it won't let me on.

The cookie problem seems to be just happening the last few weeks, the image problem for months. I haven't had SP2 for a year. Thanks.
Heintwhistle

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
terminates when clicking the GO button or when choosing the drop down?

heintwhistle

heintwhistle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Terminates after hitting the GO button. It says "This server has unexpectedly terminated the connection" or something very similar. I tried getting rid of Mozilla so that Explorer would be my only browser, then tried resetting security. On Explorer it always brings up a page explaining how to properly set cookies.

heintwhistle

heintwhistle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Exact text says:

The connection to www.dot4.state.pa.us has terminated unexpectedly. Some data may have been transferred.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I have no problems opening the page with Firefox or IE.

makai

heintwhistle

heintwhistle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks Makai.
I'm about ready to reinstall Windows. I've done everything else I can think of. My only fear is that it will be some obscure setting that survives the reintall. I've reinstalled Explorer and Firefox (Mozilla browser) and checked for viruses, adware, malware, etc.. I've checked and changed every setting that I can conceive of and still I can't access this site and others occasionally.
Heintwhistle

heintwhistle

heintwhistle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
One thing occurs to me, though I can't see how it could be a factor. I'm using a wireless ISP at a 1.5Mb rate. Could this somehow be involved? Also, can someone tell me how to "repair" my XP install. I've seen this option when installing the OS, but don't know how to use it, or if I can.
Heintwhistle

heintwhistle

heintwhistle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
BTW, Staff, sorry about posting a Hijack This log in the operating system. Hadn't seen the rule, but know it now. I just came to this site to get a solution ASAP because I've lurked on this one occasionally in the past and it has been helpful.
Heintwhistle

heintwhistle

heintwhistle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I FOUND IT. sorry to yell, but, after 8 or so hours of hair-pulling, I found that checking the "use SSL 3.0" and "use TLS 1.0" boxes had to be checked under Tools>Otions...>advanced. This allowed me to access the site with Firefox. I still can't get there with Explorer, so I have no idea what the problem is there. I'm not sure that I care. THANKS, everyone.
Heintwhistle

heintwhistle

heintwhistle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
UPDATE. Okay, call me a lightweight Heintwhistle, or whatever you like, but I found that if I restored defaults on Explorer, it worked. I was sure that I did that before I redownloaded and reinstalled Explorer 6....., but apparently not. Anyway, that's the solution, as simple as it now seems. I'm sure the staff thought I had done that or they would have suggested it. I'm hoping these changes will take care of the image problems on some sites as well.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Well I'm glad you figured it out. Sometimes its hard to diagnose problems over the net and the best qualified person is "yourself". Congratulations! Great work!!!

makai