Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need basics-adding new SATA HD with Slave PATA HD

• Please log in to reply

mdl3r1

mdl3r1

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi all,
I'm new here, and read about problems with installing SATA HD's in various setups: as only drive, as one of 2 SATA drives, etc.

My situation is this: have 2 Parallel/IDE HD's. Want to replace my smaller, 40GB primary (original) HD with a bigger, new SATA HD, and still keep my 200GB Slave Parallel HD where it is. :tazz:

Will I run into problems? How does one set up a SATA drive anyway? What is RAID, and is it a must? ;)

Just when I thought I knew enuff to build a few new PC's, in comes the world of SATA, and I haven't read enough "to the point" articles/posts.

Help is appreciated in advance
Thanks!!

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. I surely wouldn't want to be the one that told you that you WON'T have any trouble if you decide to make these changes. The simple truth is, you may or may not have trouble. Murphy's Law is out there and could get you.

That said, here is an excellent link for all kinds of information on SATA

http://www.omnicast....build/SATA.html

mdl3r1

mdl3r1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
thanks, austin...good link/tutorial... :-0