Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Programs quit unexpectedly in Windows ME

• Please log in to reply

RichardTCS

RichardTCS

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Back when I was running Windows ME, some programs would unexpectedly disappear while I was running them. One that I remember it happening with was a then current Might and Magic game. Recently, I came across a client who is experiencing this problem with a customer tracking program. I recently found an article stating that a certain dll may have been replaced by a third party program, but I haven't been able to find that article again. I thought it was a MS KB article. In the case of the client's computer, they only 64MB of RAM and 40MB of it is swapped out when the program is running. I am going to put more memory in to fix the resulting speed issue and to see if it helps with this problem. However, I would like to know ahead of time what else causes the ME disappearing act.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
What do you mean by "disappearing"? Do you mean the program uninstalls itself, or does it just shut down? If it just shuts down, can it be restarted?

64 meg of ram running WinME should not be a problem... meaning it should be good enough for common apps like Office. However, it wouldn't do too well for apps that are ram intensive.

You might want to check if too many other background programs are running and disable those that are not needed. Keep in mind that any real-time applications such as virus scanners, software firewalls, anti-spyware apps will be using ram constantly if they are set to scan every action occuring on a machine. Changing some settings might help.

And yes, upgrading the ram would also help.

makai

RichardTCS

RichardTCS

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
While running a program it disappears from memory as if it was never running. I don't say it quits, ends, terminates or shuts down because those suggest some type of action or message that you can see. It doesn't say anything about terminating and no error messages. My machine had at least 512MB of RAM and was a fresh install of ME so in my case, it wasn't lack of memory. After enough times, I switched to Windows 2000 so I never tracked down the cause.

Running ME or 98 with 64MB doesn't paint me a pretty picture unless it's Freecell and email. The client runs multiple programs so I am going to put in 256MB. It may solve the disappearing act problem in their case, but I would rather be informed on what else causes the problem.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Well I hope you find an answer as I've never heard of or seen a program "disappear". I've been running since machine language, so this is first for me.

I have seen programs simply shut down though.

good luck,
makai

rmyers2051

rmyers2051

• Pip
  • 8 posts
After installing a antivirus program recommended on the malware page I too experianced this, but only with IE. All others ran fine, even mozilla. As soon as program was loaded and task bar at bottom dissappeared so would the application. It would reopen and do the same.